Friday, October 8, 2021

October 8 – “A Trifecta”

Well, our hopes that Christina would be moved out of ICU a little early didn’t come to fruition, yesterday at least.  Her latest CT scan still showed too much pneumonia involvement, so she will stick close to where they can monitor her more carefully.  I’m sure she was disappointed, but at this point the classic adage is certainly appropriate: Better safe than sorry. 

 

That put Chris and I back on baseball duty for the day.  Jachin had another game in Houston, so we were once again elected to be his designated rooters.  Last time we went, the sitting outside triggered my ragweed allergy something awful.  This time I went prepared.  Took a Claritin in the morning, as well as a snort of my nasal spray medication.  And I slipped a Benadryl into my pocket just in case.  Chris added a box of Kleenex into the back seat as well.  We were prepared to see who would win the battle, both on the field and in the stands. 

 

As far as the battle of the sneezes is concerned, I will take at least a draw.  I never went into a sneezing, snorting, nose-blowing fit, so that’s a win for me.  I could still feel the forces of the evil ragweed churning within my nasal passages, though, calling forth some semblance of misery, so I guess there was a score on the part of the bad guys.  I never had to take the Benadryl, though, so I’m claiming victory on that basis. 

 

But back to the game on the field.  Jachin played first base, back to his natural position.  And he played probably the best game I have seen him play yet.  He smacked a hard line drive just over the outstretch glove of the first baseman into right field.  Heads up baserunning on a series of overthrows got him all the way to third in the blink of an eye as well.  He made several outstanding plays at first, too.  One amazing stretch on a wild toss turned a sure overthrow into a routine out.  Everyone’s favorite play, though, came when he made a diving grab of a foul pop up against the fence behind the opposition dugout.  The out ended the game and ensured victory.  Well, the final score was 10-0 good guys, so I guess the out wasn’t all that crucial, but it was sure a great catch.  Makes for a pleasant ride home when you can celebrate a trifecta of victory.  The local high school.  The local Astros.  And the local … nose.

 

Revelation 4:11 says, “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”

 

Father, please keep Christina’s spirits up as she endures another day or so in ICU.  And be with Kel and the kids as well.  They are getting pretty cabin feverish.  Amen.

No comments: