Sunday, February 27, 2022

February 27 – “Speedy delivery”

We were called to duty pretty early yesterday.  No, it wasn’t a fire department call.  Those are covered by our more than capable fire fighters.  No, it wasn’t a crisis with a church member.  That would be something for which they would turn to their new pastor.  And no, it wasn’t an issue with one of our kids, although in any of those case we would have jumped to and responded.  This time it was a simple request for a favor from the daughter of our elderly neighbor. 

 

All she asked of us was to watch for a delivery truck that was scheduled to arrive at her mom’s house between 7:45 and ten o’clock.  Not a problem, since I am usually up well before then anyway.  She was getting one of those rocket chairs, as I prefer to call them.  You push a button or something and it shoots you into the air.  I guess it’s not quite so dramatic as that.  The chair supposedly raises you to a standing position with little or no effort on your part.  Kind of like a rocket booster engine.  See?  I am not that far off in my rechristening process.  The chair is coming to help in her mom’s recovery.  She will be going in for some major abdominal surgery in a few days. 

 

As it happened, we were both up and watching before 7:30.  But at 7:41 I received a text from the daughter that the driver said he was at the house already.  She asked if I could run over and stall him for a few minutes so she could come over from Moody Gardens where she works and tell him where to put the chair.  I went right outside.  No truck.  We hadn’t seen a truck.  I even went around to the other side of the house.  No truck.  I texted my report back.  And came inside to get a coat.  When I went back out, the daughter was driving up.  Apparently the driver had reported to her that he had been to the house and left when he got no response.  Strangely enough, he assured her that he was on his way back already and would be there momentarily.  We did see the truck this time, by the way.  Hmm.  It was a cold day.  I think maybe Mr. Delivery Guy needed a hot cup of coffee.

 

We actually had to get out in the cold.  Both of us had prescriptions to pick up at the pharmacy.  It was good to get out of the house, but that thirty minutes or so was enough to endear us with our home heating system. 

 

Puzzle update.  I finished the words.  Well, word, if you don’t count the author’s signature.  Already had that one done in just three or four puzzle pieces.  “Wildflowers.”  I also managed to piece together a patch of said flowers.  Pink, I think.  See what I did there?  It rhymes.  Now what?  I may move to the sky.  That’s the next rather large, no clues included portion.  May as well attack the most difficult areas first, right?  But first … on to church.  The clock on my desk reads that it is Sunday …

 

Revelation 3:20 says, “Here I am!  I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.”

 

Father, please be with our neighbor.  She’s a sweet lady with a lot of health issues.  Amen.

No comments: