Saturday, February 26, 2022

February 26 – “Happy birthday, Son Kel”

Happy birthday to you, my Young Padawan, bearer of my name unto the next era, father of five of my esteemed grandchildren, and the one who made my retirement a more-quickly attained reality.  And to borrow from an ancient blessing from the far North … “May your day be merry and bright.”

 

Speaking of the Northern nether-reaches … this frigid, 40 degree weather is miserable down here on the tropical coast.  Makes us want to just stay inside and work on jigsaw puzzles all day.  Wait.  I’m retired now.  Technically I can do just that.  And I kind of did.  Of course that puzzle is the one created by an evil person.  So many edge pieces.  I have two or three of the letters figured out, but even that part is maniacally laughing at me as I scratch my head in bumfuzzledility. 

 

But no, I didn’t work on the puzzle all day.  It just seemed like it.  There are some things I just can’t seem to get out of my system.  For instance, I spent at least an hour and a half addressing and writing good wishes on birthday cards.  Maybe I don’t need to be doing that anymore, but as that old-school part of me always says, “Hey.  Who doesn’t like to receive mail that isn’t a bill?”  Besides, what else am I to do while Chris is faithfully executing her cardiac rehab duties? 

 

Well, if my calculations are correct (and if the time stamp on today’s newspaper is not a misprint), today is Saturday.  And not only that, it is Saturday of weekend number two of Mardi Gras festivities.  That can only mean one thing.  Stay in the house.  College basketball on TV, or maybe a movie or two, calling out to me.  Evil puzzle on the table, glaring at me.  Perhaps even a nap somewhere in there with my name on it? 

 

Proverbs 29:25 says, “Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.”

 

Father, thank you for our first-born son.  Bless him and his family as they work together serving you and each other.  Amen.

No comments: