Friday, November 6, 2020

November 6 – “Day Three Crash”

I suppose you have never heard of the “Day Three Crash”?  I didn’t really remember it from any of my previous surgeries, but I imagine it probably happened.  It’s when, on Day Three post-surgery, something comes up, some little or large, nagging or debilitating, just-enough-to-cause-you-worry something. 

 

In my case it hit with a vengeance when my feet hit the floor yesterday morning.  I had an ache in my sides that felt like a very large brick had dropped right onto that spot.  It wasn’t the sharp, knife-stabbing pain that started this whole ordeal, but it was in essentially the same general area.  Except this time it was on both sides of my body.  Equal opportunity, you know. I think my left side felt left out last time, so it had to make its presence known.  It wasn’t as bad as the right side, though.  Now, it didn’t knock me to the floor or anything.  That would have been … unfortunate.  And I was able to find positions where it went away entirely.  Lying down was nice.  Most sitting positions were fine as well.  It was just that dreaded attempt to stand that threatened to take me out every time. 

 

Chris convinced me to take Tylenol to help deal with it.  That was the heavy pain killer they prescribed when I left the hospital.  And it did help.  I even did a few “Astros game laps.”  That’s where I walk in circles around the house during the commercials of the Astros game.  The pain was ever-lurking just beneath the surface, though.  I finally decided that it might be best to just stay off my feet as much as possible. 

 

Chris suggested that I call the neurosurgeon’s office today and see what they have to say about it.  Problem is, it’s just not that bad this morning.  That’s how it usually works, right?  I know I’m moving carefully, and maybe that’s how I should have been moving all along.  I’m beginning to think today that I should just wait it out and see if the Day Three Crash is pretty much confined to the third day.  We’ll see how it goes between now and when the office opens, I guess. 

 

Meanwhile I enjoyed reading through the card I received from the folks at church last Sunday.  Lauren brought it to the hospital with her.  I also received a card from some Seasiders in Missouri.  Thanks, O’Neal’s, for thinking about me.  Looking forward to seeing you guys soon.  Oh, and my buddy who lives in the frozen Northlands messaged me as well.  Sent me some gifs of the Packers football team exercise regimen.  Not quite ready for that kind of bending yet, Gary … 

 

1 John 4:15 says, “If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God.”

 

Father, thank you for the folks who have expressed their love and concern.  Bless them for that.  Amen.

No comments: