Friday, November 13, 2020

November 13 – “On burying the lead …”

It started off simple enough.  Chris was working on a quilt, so I ambled into the back yard and sat on the swing with a cup of coffee.  It was cool outside.  Just a really nice day.  It didn’t take long and Chris was out there with me on the swing, basking in the cool, crisp autumn air.  And then …

 

Freddy was out there with us, as is her usual routine.  She disappeared behind us for a while, and then pranced out from behind the swing.  Her head was held high, and she carried her little friend with her.  Oh, you haven’t met her little friend?  Well, Freddy has one toy she plays with.  Just one.  It’s a cute little stuffed creature.  I think the packaging said it was a hedgehog.  She carries it around with her everywhere.  Even in the mornings when I open the door to the room where her bed is.  She races out, completely ignoring me, until she can find her little friend and prance into the den with it between her little jowls.  Very cute stuff.  So back to the back yard.  She pranced out from behind the swing with her little friend held high.  Only it wasn’t her little friend.  Chris gasped.  Her feet instinctively pulled up into the chair.  Yep.  Freddy had a new friend.  It was a dead squirrel.  She saw me stand up, and proudly dropped it at my feet.  All attempts at protecting my back withered away as Chris demanded that I get rid of it … and fast.  I got the broom and dustpan (an industrial-type one that I could use and not bend over, so I’m still being good) and swept the critter up and disposed of it.  Sorry, Freddy.  As your parents it is our duty to protect you from bad friend choices.  Go back to your hedgehog. 

 

Now that was the really fun part of my day.  Little was I to know things would soon take a turn for the worse …

 

Chris had an appointment at 2:30 to do a stress echocardiogram (On a treadmill).  With all the problems she has been having regulating her blood pressure, and with her family history of heart issues, her doctor wanted to get a baseline reading, then refer her to a cardiologist.  The whole situation was kind of scary for me.  My Dad had a heart attack while on the treadmill at his doctor’s office.  She jokingly told me when she left that if anything happened, she would have them call April, “since she’s working today.”  I replied, “Ummm.  You better have them call me.”  On a normal day I would go with her, but this is 2020.  I was not allowed. 

 

Well … it happened.  She passed out on the treadmill.  Seems she has been having the classic symptoms of a heart attack in women for a while now, but she thought it was just a muscle spasm.  And what would I know?  Anyway, they admitted her to the hospital immediately.  I did call April.  She went right up and stayed with Chris until they got her into a room and she knew we were almost at the hospital.  Wading through the medical gobbledygook, she has a blockage of some kind, which as it was explained to me, is a secret way of saying she had a heart attack.  I know … way to bury the lead, right?  Nathan gave me a ride to the hospital (Technically I’m not supposed to be driving yet.  Back surgery restrictions) when she finally got into a room, and we took her some toiletries and a change of clothes and a book to read.  It was officially after visiting hours, but some fast talking got us past the front desk, pink shirt wearing police.  April came up after her shift was over.  We hung around until it became apparent that Nathan and April couldn’t keep their respective eyes open.  They had both worked a full day. 

 

The plan is for Chris to have a heart cath sometime today.  My buddy Josh Dorrell is filling in for me at the memorial service I was scheduled for.  Jim will also be there to open the doors and generally represent Seaside.  I still need to get someone to pick up the Koop’s barbecue for the fund raiser tomorrow.  And I need to get the poster there that introduces the Humphries Family as recipients of our receipts.  I’m sure it will eventually work out.  But in a nutshell, please do a little bit of praying for us today. 

 

1 Peter 5:7 says, “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”

 

Father, please take care of Chris.  She is way better off in your hands than anyone else’s.  Guide the minds and skills and especially hearts of the docs and nurses that will be taking care of her.  Amen.

No comments: