Tuesday, November 24, 2020

November 24 - “a real, actual donkey”

We were charged with allowing Cailyn to hang out with us yesterday. Always a fun day. She generally calls us when she is ready and we drive over and pick her up. I had an errand to run this particular day, however, so I decided to start the communications process. Just to keep in the swing of things and make sure I hadn’t forgotten, I texted her these immortal words:

“Hey you! This is DadDad! Get up! Get outta the bed! Don’t be a grunt, you big ol’ head! I’m an acorn, small and round ...

Hey! Now that you’re awake anyway, wanna go out to the church with me? I have to pick something up”


It was classic. She obviously loved it. I received an answer almost immediately. She would be ready in a jiffy. Well, she didn’t say “jiffy” but I’m pretty sure that’s what she meant. 


I headed on over to pick her up, and we headed out to the church. Our task there was to make some changes to the marquee. I already had the info up about our upcoming community singalong. Great event, by the way. Jim and his Salty Sounds Band (often aka some members of the Seaside Praise Team) will be there. We’ll set up under the retreat center, serve hot chocolate and Christmas cookies, and just sing some Christmas songs for an hour or so (start time is 5:30 pm, by the way). Problem was, we had to change the date because of a scheduling conflict with the Jamaica Beach city Christmas event. Our sign said Dec 5th. Our event is now on the 6th. I also had to add one other important tidbit of info. We are also doing a new toy drive for Galveston Urban Ministries. We’re encouraging folks to bring a toy with them to donate. Not required, just requested. We’ll get them to G.U.M.  


Ok. Enough with the commercial. Moving on ...


We got the changes made and headed back to the house. Cailyn called to check on Chris on the way, so I heard a play by play of our journey through the eyes of an 11-year-old girl. The absolute highlight of the whole narrative?  She saw a donkey. A real donkey. I had no idea of the appeal a “real, actual donkey” would have. 


Back at the house she continued her enamorment with animals and joined me in walking with Freddy around the the block too. My back and hip didn’t start bothering me until almost the end. That’s encouraging. 


Later I took her to softball practice not far from the house. I also hung out and watched. It was cold. Reminded me of Denver and their restrictions about playing on the cold. Temperature had to be below 32 degrees to cancel. Even if it was snowing. Maybe it wasn’t so cold at Cailyn’s practice, after all. Besides, I was wearing shorts, a T-shirt and a windbreaker. 

But I have said and continue to say, unequivocally, baseball is not a winter sport. 


Proverbs 12:25 says, “Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.”


Father, thank you for Cailyn’s help yesterday. She is a keeper. Amen. 

No comments: