Sunday, July 31, 2011

July 31 – “WalMart, watermelon, and walkers”

 

Cailyn stole the hearts of our visitors from Arlington yesterday.  Nathan and April went to a movie, so Cailyn had the opportunity to spend an hour or two over here at Nani and DadDad's house.  Only thing was, there were some strange new big people around. 

 

When Cailyn meets new folks, she is shy and retiring.  Her usual response is to physically hide behind whoever is there that she is already comfortable with.  Like most other little guys in my experience, the best approach with her is to be pleasant, but don't make any attempts to invade her space until she has decided for herself if you can be trusted.  Then she will slowly, carefully open up and before you know it, she will explode with personality. 

 

She never did totally accept the college students.  They were too impatient.  It was not for lack of trying, though.  They attempted to gain favor through talking and high fives and offering food.  Just never did happen for them, though.  The "older adult" sponsor was another story.  Cary constantly talked to her, called her by name, asked her questions and didn't care if she answered or not.  He kept his distance, but entered into her creative play.  And as a result, when he left to take the students to Moody Gardens, Cailyn missed him and asked, "Where's Mr. Cary?" 

 

At one point she found Mom's walker and it became the center of her play.  She said, "I'm MoeMoe," and walked around pushing the walker.  Then, all of sudden, the gleam of an idea came into her eye.  "I'm MoeMoe and I'm going to WalMart.  Bye.  See you later."  She waved to us all and pushed off toward the other room.  Before she got far something caught her eye.  "Oh," she said, picking up her doll, "Baby's going to WalMart too."  And after a second, she added, "Come on, DadDad."  I got invited to accompany her on her journey, so I walked with her.  As we approached the front door she stopped and bent down, pretending to pick something up.  It took me a second to get oriented to her world.  "What are you picking up?" I asked.  "We're getting some watermelon," was the reply, as she placed the imaginary fruit into the … the shopping cart.  Of course, the walker was the perfect shopping cart.  And just in case I had forgotten, she looked up at me and reiterated, "I'm MoeMoe, and I'm going to WalMart to get some watermelon with my walker."  "Got it," I replied.  "Are we getting anything else?"  She thought for a moment.  "Ice cream."  Ah.  That's my girl.

 

When her Mom and Dad came to pick her up, the students were still gone.  But she went in turn to each of us and gave her special hugs and kisses.  First MoeMoe.  Then … after only a brief hesitation … Mr. Cary.  Nani and got some attention as well, but of course she saved the best for last and good old DadDad.

 

Proverbs 21:2 says, "All a man's ways seem right to him, but the Lord weighs the heart."

 

Father, I think Cailyn has a way of weighing the heart – understanding motive – knowing where you are coming from – as well.  Help me learn to check my motive before executing my plans.  Amen.

No comments: