Thursday, July 21, 2011

July 21 – “Another fall”

 

Biggest news from yesterday has to be that Mom fell.  She hasn't been feeling well again.  Sleeping a lot.  She's been doing that strange moaning every time she exhales as well.  She was on the couch when we left for WalMart.  I asked her to do some secretarial-type stuff for me.  I thought she might get a kick out of it, and it would give her something constructive to do.  And she did seem pretty excited about doing it.  When we returned I opened the door and saw her sitting on the floor, leaning against the couch with her head propped against a pillow, just like she intended to be there.  Honestly, my heart sank a bit.  I dropped the bags of groceries in the kitchen and went over to her.  I asked, "What are you doing down there?"  She replied, without missing a beat, "Well, I fell.  Your booklets are right there."  Way to go Mom.  She got the job done.  Apparently she was trying to hurry to answer the telephone and missed the little step from the den to the front hall.  Chris made her a doctor's appointment for today.

 

Well, aside from that, yesterday was an inside day for me.  I spent most of it in my office at home.  I began a new sermon series last week on the Books of Ezra, Nehemiah and Esther, so I am still doing a lot of background study.  And Ezra starts out with one of those long boring lists of people's names, so I was tracking down some of them to see if there would be any interesting tidbits to connect with other parts of the bigger story.  Ah, part of the fun of teaching is making all the exciting little discoveries that will probably never be appropriate to actually use in the teaching. 

 

I had a request to possibly bring back the Discipleship Journey handbook I put together several years ago for Seaside.  Somebody read my book A Seaside Saga, and the handbook is an appendix.  I had to search my computer files, but I finally found it.  So I also spent some time yesterday doing an update on that. 

 

And then I typed up a wedding service.  I have one coming up Sunday evening at The Lyceum.  I'm not sure if I have done one there before.  If I did it wasn't called The Lyceum.  The rehearsal is Saturday evening at the San Luis Hotel, so I won't find out until I get there Sunday. 

 

I'm still working on the Bible Study for the Life Group that meets in our home tonight.  Book of James.  Chapter four.  It's some good stuff.  All about drawing near to God and resisting the devil. 

 

And we did manage that trip to WalMart in there somewhere.  You gotta eat.  I had to admit I needed to get up and move around some.  Which reminds me.  I also did some of the neck exercises the physical therapist taught me, and now my neck and back are pretty sore.  That means it'll be a challenge to do them again today.  WooHoo.  Can't wait.

 

Proverbs 20:3 says, "It is to a man's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel."

 

Father, please give the doctor some extra wisdom today so we can find out what's up with Mom.  Amen.

No comments: