Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July 20 – “It rained”

 

Rain.  Great thing to wake up to in the middle of a drought.  And it stuck around for most of the day, too.  Maybe it will make a return visit soon.  Of course that will mean the grass will grow quicker.  And the weeds in the flower beds.  At this point, though, it's definitely worth the trade-off.

 

The other night when Cailyn was here she would walk around the house randomly saying, "I'm at Nanny and DadDad's house."  I'm not sure if she was happy to be here or just trying to establish the reality of her existence in the universe.

 

A guy called the church yesterday wanting to get baptized right away.  The folks there gave him my cell number, and we talked for a long time.  The baptism is set for Sunday.  That's always a plus.  We get to walk to the beach as part of Sunday worship service.  Once again, when the church does its best to do what God has called us to do, he will get in the evangelism business.

 

I had my first session of physical therapy yesterday.  The therapist was very good.  Actually seemed to know her stuff.   She was kind of unprofessional, though.  Cussed a few times.  In the interview she mentioned that she had had another patient named Kelley Vaughan, but he was much younger.  I told her, "Thanks a lot for that.  I'm the old guy, right?"  I was just kidding.  I told her I knew of at least two others on the Island.  She asked if I knew the one who worked at Starbucks and was some kind of minister on the side.  "That one," I said, "would be my son."  Her response?  "Oh, is his name Kelley Vaughan, too?"  I thought that's where we started.

 

She gave me some exercises to strengthen the muscles in my neck.  She also said I need to work on pulling my shoulders back so I don't get all slumped over and hunchbacked as I get older.  So it's the older guy thing again, huh?  She was impressed with my posture in general and said my gait was very good.  So I'm a success at, what?  Standing up and walking.  Makes you feel kind of like a toddler.  Thanks, Mommy.  The last thing was lying on heating pads and electrical stimulation of the muscles in my neck and shoulder.  I was scared about that.  The last time they did something like that it aggravated the nerves and ultimately resulted in speeding up my last surgery.  Didn't happen this time, though.  I actually dozed off for awhile.  Next week she starts in on my lower back.  Can't wait.

 

Proverbs 19:23 says, "The fear of the Lord leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble."

 

Father, I know fear is healthy respect and awe.  I give you that.  Thank you for the promise of safety.  Amen.

No comments: