Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 28 – “iphones”

 

We got our new iphones the other day.  Well, it's not that we had iphones before.  We still had those antiques that slid open and continually got messages like "Your phone is too ignorant to receive this incredibly cute picture of your grandkids."  Very frustrating.  Speaking of antiques, Mom still has a phone that I so old I don't even remember how to get it to work for her.  Very simple, but very not-user-friendly.

 

The weird thing about the new phones is that we could have gotten them for free.  After standing there in the AT&T store for almost two hours listening to the salesgirl explain all the different uses – I felt like she was being oh so careful to point out important things to us oldsters who could never in a million years figure out anything on our own – we finally got home and I went to file the receipt.  She said we had a month to decide whether or not the phones were "beyond what we expected," so I didn't want to lose it.  And there was no receipt in the bag.  The car chargers were there.  The microdisk memory card for downloading all the pictures from Chris' phone was there.  The empty cartons the phone cases came in were there.  The boxes with our earphones and home chargers that came with the phone were there.  But no receipt.

 

So I headed back down to the store to get our copy.  I figured she just forgot to put it in the bag.  She forgot something all right, but it wasn't to put it in the bag.  She searched for it in the printer.  Behind the printer.  Under the printer.  In the computer.  That was the strange part.  I had swiped my card.  But the computer had no record of our ever being in the store.  Apparently she forgot to push the final "kill" button on her computer that told it the sale was final and it could send the charge information off to the credit card company.  She was of course horrified.  She started making excuses like, "That must have been when you started asking questions," and "Remember I was trying to download your pictures and contacts …"  Of course it was all our fault.  She asked if I had the bag of stuff we bought.  I said it was at home.  She called over her manager to find out what to do.  They eventually had to reenter everything we purchased and redo the whole transaction.  They got it all straightened out and I got my receipt this time. 

 

I wonder if they would have discovered the mistake?  Oh, well.  It was the right thing to do.  Now I have to figure out how to download apps and play that Words with Friends game with somebody.  My code name is pkgalveston.  Invite me for a game.

 

Proverbs 20:27 says, "The lamp of the Lord searches the spirit of a man; it searches out his inmost being."

 

Father, come on in and search away.  I don't want to hide anything from you.  Amen.

No comments: