Tuesday, July 12, 2011

July 12 – “Whistle Boy”

 

I got some replacement medication yesterday.  The doctor's office called in an alternative drug for the one the insurance company decided they would no longer cover.  I guess it will take a few days to build back up in my system, though.  Last night was a rough one sleepwise.  I even woke up (me and Chris) at one point with really bad cramps in my hamstring and calf on one leg.  Hope all that will pass soon.

 

Yesterday we also started Vacation Bible School at church.  On the way there Chris suddenly said, "That looks like a sleeping bear."  Very random.  I looked at the beach water, then the fields off to the other side.  I saw no sleeping bears.  I thought maybe she was talking about camp in New Mexico and I had missed some of the conversation.  But she finally added that she was talking about the cloud formations.  Cheyenne got into the spirit of things.  She saw one that looked like a coyote.  I didn't want to miss out on the fun, so I pointed out one that was totally obvious.  It was a pointy nose head guy with an upside down turtle body.  Taylor was better than any of us, though.  She saw everyone of them.

 

I got in the truck after lunch to take it to Dennis at the shop so he could fix the power steering leak and whatever was causing the battery light to come on.  It didn't start.  We jumped it and headed out.  Then we got within five blocks of Dennis' shop and it died again.  Some guys stopped to help me push it to the side of the road so Chris could get in position in front of it.  We jumped it again.  By the time I put Chris' car back together (the battery in encased in plastic), it wouldn't start again.  So we jumped it again.  This time we let it charge for awhile.  Then I told Chris to get in the truck and started it.  As soon as it cranked up, I ripped the cables off and slammed the hood shut.  She took off and made it the remaining five blocks.  And when she parked, it died again.  It's in your court now, Dennis.

 

We took the girls to the beach after supper.  I took along a pole and some frozen shrimp I had.  We ended up going in front of the Hilton hotel.  The tide was extremely low, so I waded out to just on the other edge of the sand bar and started casting.  It was very rough, but I figured with a little weight I could get below the churning waters and into some whiting habitat.  After a few casts I followed my usual protocol and turned back to check my position so I wouldn't drift too far from a set point on shore.  I immediately noticed Chris and Taylor were waving at me to come in.  Now what could they want?  I dutifully headed back in, and when I got close enough, Chris said the life guard had been whistling at me.  So what did Whistle Boy want?  He said I was too far out and too close to the rocks.  Interesting bit of concern.  I was on the sand bar in water only up to my waist.  I was well on the good side of the warning post.  She went up to him and said, "If you're whistling at the fisherman, he won't hear.  He's deaf."  Apparently I wasn't in enough danger for him to come get me.  Being the good citizen that I am, though, I stayed in the cut much closer to shore and played with the catfish, crabs, and seaweed until it was time to go.  I did notice that Whistle Boy was more than active in his intense pursuit of water safety for Galveston tourists.  That whistle blew almost non-stop.  Never fear tourists.  You are in good hands with Whistle Boy.

 

Proverbs 18:16 says, "A gift opens the way for the giver and ushers him into the presence of the great."

 

Father, no gift I can give will be adequate, but thank you for receiving me into your presence anyway, like a Daddy accepting the stick figure drawing of his child.  Amen.

No comments: