Wednesday, July 13, 2011

July 13 – “Almost refugees”

 

Our first move yesterday was a quick trip to the mechanic shop to get our truck back.  The alternator and a power steering high pressure hose both went out.  $375.  Ouch.

 

Chris dropped me off on her way to take Taylor and Cheyenne to Vacation Bible School.  I decided I needed to stay home to get some work done on the sermon for Sunday.  I have had some ideas percolating, but I needed to get quiet and do some praying so I could focus on the direction God wanted me to go with it.  Turned out a little different than I originally thought, but I'm excited about it.  I'll teach through the books of Ezra, Esther and Nehemiah.  They all happened in the same general period of history.  I got a good start on it.  Actually worked until I couldn't concentrate any more.  That still happens a lot.  At least I can blame it on the medications I take instead of just getting old.  When it gets to that point I either have to take a nap or force my body to do something physical.  Yesterday the physical won out.  I mowed the grass.  It was really hot, but the lawn needed it - bad.  Probably not as bad as it needed water, but we are in a drought.

 

Last night the girls and Chris went to the beach again.  I stayed home and watched the major league all star game.  It was the first time in a long time that I have been home to watch it.  Lance Berkman got a hit.  Then he was thrown out trying to steal second.  Looked like he was going to be safe, but he forgot that you have to touch the bag at some point.  Hunter Pence got a hit.  Then he went all the way to third on a passed ball.  He eventually scored.  Go National league.  Go Astros.

 

We almost had some refugees stay with us for the night.  A whole family of them.  Kel and Christina's air conditioner at their house went out.  The part they needed to fix it had to be ordered.  We were all prepared to fill the air mattress and have an all nighter.  Then Kel called back to say they got a better offer.  Nathan and April offered their spare bedroom.  Gee.  They picked a separate room with an actual bed in it over the floor and an air mattress and the promise of partying with the grandparents all night.  How could that be? 

 

Proverbs 18:22 says, "He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord."

 

Father, I know the verse has nothing to do with the thoughts from yesterday, but I couldn't pass it up.  Thanks again for the great gift you gave me in Chris.  Bless her.  Amen.

No comments: