Tuesday, July 19, 2011

July 19 – “Harry Potter and a conquering hero”

 

We finally saw the last Harry Potter movie yesterday.  They didn't all die after all.  But we knew that.  We read the books.  There was a modest crowd in there with us, but Chris made the astute observation that they must not have been very strong Harry Potter fans.  They didn't cheer when Belatrix got zapped by Mrs. Weasley, and as far as I could see there was not a single tear shed among the group.  I wondered how they were going to portray the older Harry and Ron and Hermoine.  I was surprised.  They didn't really.  It looked like they were still teenagers dressed up in mommy and daddy's clothes.  Very strange.  I liked the fight scene, though.  There just wasn't enough of it.  A friend of ours in Arlington said she measured the end of this series as the end of her children's childhood.  Now that's a bit extreme.  I guess she was actually talking about the length of time it took to produce all the movies.

 

After the movie I went fishing for awhile.  It turned out to be rougher than it looked at first.  I was hoping to at least land a few whiting to eat.  For a long time I only had one, and I was almost ready to set him free and head home.  I tried the dead shrimp and cut eel I brought.  I switched to artificial bait.  I even switched back to try the dead shrimp again.  Things were looking pretty bleak.  But as often happens I caught one more.  Then I caught a small croaker.  Croakers are encouraging catches.  If they're big enough they are good to eat.  If they are smaller, they make good cut bait.  I was rapidly running out of bait, so I decided to make one more cast.  And I got a hit.  It felt like a good one, too.  Took off on a run pulling out the drag.  Then it started back right at me, so I had to reel fast to keep up.  I finally landed it.  It was keeper red fish.  Good eating there.  I had him in the dip net and was pulling over the net well to put him in there when the line holding the well to my belt broke loose.  Now there's some fun.  I had to chase it into shore holding my pole and the dip net with the red and dragging my bait bucket .  Ended well, though.  I got to it just before it got to the rocks.  Cailyn was at the house when I got there, so I came home as the conquering hero fisherman. 

 

2 Corinthians 3:17 says, "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty."

 

Father, thank you for interludes of release like watching a movie and going fishing.  Amen.

No comments: