Saturday, July 23, 2011

July 23 – “Like a sponge”

 

The guy who called the church the other day wanting to be baptized right away came to our Life group at the house Thursday night.  Wow.  Someone asked him how he came to call Seaside.  He told us that Seaside was the only call he made.  It just seemed to jump out at him from his computer screen.  

 

He was like a sponge.  He wanted to know everything all at once.  I had told him to read through the Book of James before he came.  That's what we are working through.  He said he had talked to his mom on the phone about some problems just before he started reading.  When he finished he had to call her back and tell her all about it.  Then he said he met someone on the beach and told her he was headed to a Bible Study.  She said she had always wanted to do something like that, so he invited her to join him.  She refused, but it sure verified the fact that those who are the newest believers are the most likely to share what they have in Christ. 

 

I gave him a copy of the Discipleship Journey Handbook I put together several years ago to introduce people to Seaside.  He said he would have it read before he went to bed that night.  I encouraged him to take it a little slower and let it sink in some, but as excited as he was, I doubt he even heard me.  The baptism is scheduled for this Sunday, and he has family members coming in from out of town to witness it. 

 

My eye doctor appointment in Houston went well.  He said I had a smudge on the back side of the lens he implanted last year in my cataract surgery.  That might explain why I can sometimes see better by looking out of the corner of my eye.  I do wonder where the smudge could have come from in the first place if not his finger when he was putting it in.  He said if it became a real bother he could take care of it easily enough.  All he has to do is shoot it with a laser.  Ah, the stuff of science fiction.

 

Proverbs 20:7 says, "The righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him."

 

Father, I want my children to be blessed.  Help me with that blameless life part.  Amen.

No comments: