Friday, February 17, 2023

February 17 - “Just damp”

We made a quick Walmart run yesterday. I needed some stuff for the Ash Wednesday service. Sam needed to pick up some prescriptions. It was a nasty, rainy, and in Chris’ words “just damp” day. 


In spite of the weather we made our way into the store and maneuvered to our respective goals. Sam, of course, had it easy. She got to ride in the go-cart they provide. Chris and I ran into a little problem, though. Can you imagine Walmart in Galveston, on the Thursday before the biggest Mardi Gras celebration this side of New Orleans, running out of beads?  How dare they! But that’s ok. We had some at home that I can use. Fortunately, they did have a mask or two left. And what, you may ask, are the beads and masks for?  Check back next Thursday. Same Bat time.  Same Bat channel. 


 By the time supper came around, I found myself gazing out the window at the wind. Or, as my much older sister was quick to point out, “you can’t see the wind,” so I replied, “Ok, then.  I’m watching the results of the wind.”  The trees I saw were rocking back and forth. The branches were shaking, sometimes somewhat violently, in the grasp of the swirl. It was actually quite beautiful. And I was assured that, according to the weather app, things were only going to get worse.  Not “hurricane worse” or anything. Just cold to go along with the wind. Oh, boy … Can’t wait (For those who don’t know me well, that last comment was laced with sarcasm). 


Jeremiah‬ ‭31‬‬:‭25 says, “I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint.” 


Father, I do thank you for all sorts of weather. The variety makes things … interesting. Amen. 

No comments: