Tuesday, February 14, 2023

February 14 - “Jury duty: day one”

Day One of Jury Duty was very interesting. After being sworn in en masse, the first 70 of us were directed to the courtroom where we would be regaled and subsequently questioned by lawyers.

 

Without divulging details, it was a criminal case. And one question that eventually arise concerned our knowledge of law enforcement individuals. Well, I had to admit to that one. Not just one here. I know three sheriff deputies and a few police officers and one federal agent and lots of guys I have met as fire department chaplain. The prosecutor wanted me. The defense did not.

 

As a result I had to go before the judge and both lawyers all by myself. They grilled me for a while before finally letting me join the other prospective jurors on a break. One side was convinced already that, as a pastor of law enforcement officers, and chaplain of the fire department, there was no way those positions wouldn’t influence me to lean in favor of the prosecution. Not to mention my pastoral inclination to want to empathize with the victim. The other side acknowledged that position, but wanted to know if I could put that aside and listen to the testimony without being influenced. I assured them I would do my best. All I could offer.

 

When we returned to the courtroom, the twelve jurors were formally announced … And I wasn’t one of them. So much for my first try at jurydom. I was excused for today, but may have to go back tomorrow (and every day the rest of the week). We’ll see happens next.

 

Oh … for those who were in church last Sunday, we had supper with Salmon Geezer. Remember him? Tasty stuff …

 

Proverbs 16:3 says, Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.”

 

Father, please be with the folks on that jury. Give them clarity and a spirit of your justice. Amen.

No comments: