Thursday, November 10, 2022

November 10 - “Someone must know someone”

We anticipated being completely trapped yesterday. So much so that we arranged everything so we wouldn’t have to leave the house. The construction cats got started on the street a little after 8. By 11 they were still digging down by the end of the street. There was a slab of concrete there that defined the water drainage landscaping. Apparently, it was defying all efforts to break through. Well, to break through easily, anyway. They finally managed by combining forces. Two big cats plus a handheld concrete cutter. One of the workers told me that they were replacing the fire hydrant before they get started on the street pipes. Why not? Let’s get it all done.

 

Later in the day I went outside yet again to check on the process.  OK, and to stare at the big machinery hard at work tearing up the street.  I watched as one of the workers jumped onto the chain and rode with the new fire hydrant as they set it into place.  I wondered about it, though.  It sure seemed to be much deeper into the ground than the old one.  Hope future fire fighters can get their big wrenches in there when they need to open it up. 

 

As I watched in fascination, I heard my name, “Hey, Pastor Kelley!”  I located the sound coming from one of the workers and recognized a Seasider who had come to work with the crew.  I haven’t seen him in quite a while, so it was really good to catch up with him and get the news about his family.  His kids are growing up and sounds like they are doing really well.  He also told me that “someone must know someone and have some connections.”  Seems that when the work order came for this job, it was designated “Highest Priority.”  He recognized the street as ours, so he was excited to come be a part of it.  I don’t have any idea who that “someone” might have been, but whoever you are, thanks for your persistence.  The streets of the neighborhood sure needed it.

 

As it ultimately turned out, they didn’t even make it to our driveway.  I guess that means we will be socked in for today as well.  I better send out a text to the home group to beware the streets when they come tonight.  I plan to move our car over to a neighbor’s driveway in a little bit as well.  There are a few places we need to go today.

 

1 Peter 4:8 says, Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

 

Father, please be with Jesus and his family.  Draw them close to you and grant them happiness.  Amen.

No comments: