Tuesday, June 7, 2022

June 7 – “Ain’t we romantic?”

It took me a while yesterday, but I finally got the blog post done.  The problem was, I had a lot more to say about Chris.  But … the two and a half mile hike I knew she was taking me on was most certainly pending, so I had to save my strength.  And sure enough, I was right.  The hike happened.

 

Back home, I did my hip exercises.  Trying to stay fairly consistent with those.  Maybe not as consistent as Chris is with the walking, but maybe somewhat close.  While I was being hip, she walked up and down the stairs.  Ain’t we romantic?

 

We did exchange anniversary gifts.  Chris gave me a new fishing shirt.  It’s one of those long-sleeved, slick-feeling materials designed to keep you cool and safe from sunburn.  Very nice.  I looked up the “assigned” gifts for a 47th anniversary.  Imagine my surprise when it came up gardening and books.  Certainly perfect for my wife.  So I got her the newest John Grisham book and an assortment of gardening supplies.  She seemed pleased, especially with the gloves.  The ones she wears have holes that allow her fingers to breathe fresh air.  Not so great when you’re picking up recently trimmed branches from a tree with evil demon devil weed thorns.

 

We did go out for lunch.  No, really.  To a real restaurant and everything.  Saltgrass Steak House.  I ordered the steak and shrimp.  That means I ate the shrimp and a few bites of the steak.  The rest I saved for an evening meal.  Chris had grilled chicken and fresh green beans.  She ate about half and joined me later for a gourmet supper.  Oh, and we stopped off to get some gas.  Nine gallons for $42.  Ouch.

 

And where should we go for a romantic anniversary stroll?  Three guesses.  The beach?  Nope.  Too crowded?  The neighborhood?  Nope.  We do that in the mornings for a workout.  Of course!  WalMart.  And after that, what could be better than watching the Monday night fights at the Astros game? 

 

Oh … we also received an anniversary card in the mail.  It was from Chris and Kelley.  Sweet people, those two.  They never forget us …

 

Ezekiel 36:26 says, “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.”

 

Father, thank you that the simplest of things can still be meaningful.  Amen.

No comments: