Saturday, June 25, 2022

June 25 – “Whataburger, Waze and Weddings”

We had to get moving a little earlier than usual. We had to get all packed up and loaded into the car … before breakfast. Fortunately, we spent some time the night before doing our packing, so it wasn’t so difficult. I did still have to turn in our room key and drive the golf cart over to its designated return spot, though.  And even that was made easy.  At breakfast, the camp director walked up to me and said I could hand over all my keys to her.  She’s not one you argue with, so … I handed over my keys to her.  Our children’s minister (To whom I understood I was SUPPOSED to turn the keys over) - Michelle - understood completely.

 

After a breakfast where Chris had her ear talked off by one of the Columbus girls, we went to the last celebration time. Then it was good-byes and a final group picture in front of the bus before heading to Waco. We were the last ones to pull out, but pretty soon we were right behind the bus.  It was driving about 20 miles under the speed limit, so Chris managed to pass it up before long.  As it turned out, we even beat Josh and Christi and the kids.  Not sure how that happened, since we never saw them on the road. 

 

The reunions with Mom and Dad back at the church were, as usual, quite heart-warming.  Hugs and kisses abounded.  I even received a few hugs and “see you next year’s.”  Sounded like a very positive experience for all of them.

 

Once everyone was squared away, we went to Whataburger with Josh and crew for a real, absolutely unhealthy, hamburger.  It was great.  But while we were there, I got a text from Kel.  Seems “Christina got me sick.  Again.”  He had the flu, and he was supposed to perform a beach wedding last night.  He wanted to know if I was available to do that for him, and to be on standby to preach on Sunday.  We did some rapid calculations on our fingers.  We should be able to make it, so I told him to count on me.  We almost didn’t.

 

Houston traffic came awfully close to doing us in on this one.  It was really bad.  The Google Siri patrol, and even Waze, kept changing recommendations of routes.  We finally just dove right in with the rest of the minions and drove right through the middle of downtown.  We finally pulled into our driveway right at 6:00.  The wedding was scheduled for 7:30.  Just enough time to unload the car and change clothes and rush to the West End. 

 

Of course I made it in plenty of time.  The wedding went off without a hitch.  I even scored a few of the tamales they were serving afterwards.  I got a ride to my car from a longtime Seasider who was also attending.  I finally got home around 8:30 or 9:00.  Chris had already emptied all the suitcases.  Now we can focus on getting books on the new shelves.  Well, after I put together a sermon for tomorrow.  And after we go to Noa and Ezra’s karate graduation.  And … And … And …

 

1 Peter 5:7 says, “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”

 

Father, thank you for our safe trip home.  Please be with Bill and Kim as they work out their new life together as a married couple.  Amen.

No comments: