Monday, June 6, 2022

June 6 – “Happy 47th Anniversary, Chris”

That’s right.  Today marks 47 years my lovely wife and I have been married.  I remembered the number because I will turn 68 this year, and we got married when I was 21, so if I subtract … Yeah.  Too much like modern math, isn’t it?  Nothing modern about this relationship, though. 

 

Born when we were in college.  Bred through five or six moves before we even reached our first anniversary.  Developed into a lifestyle of ministry, doing our best to touch the lives of people in Houston, Arlington, Denver and Galveston.  Bounced from youth ministry to education ministry to youth ministry to consultant ministry and finally to pastoral ministry, not to mention hospital nursing to pediatric clinics.  Challenged by the birth of not one, but three children … all boys, Kel, Josh and Nathan.  Companioned by an array of pets from Noah the parakeet to Gideon, our first puppy, to Becca and Crazy Taffy, to Fritz and Heidi and Gretchen, and currently little Freddy.  Surprised by revelations concerning family dynamics.  Refreshed by road trips from one end of the country to the other, Alaska to Key West, Maine to Utah.  Presented with daughters-in-law Christina, Christi, and April.  Blessed by grandchildren Jachin, Zakary, Micah, Caleb, Cailyn, Josiah, Noa, Luke, AnnaGrace, and Ezra.  Encouraged by dear friends along the way like The Creech’s, The Scoggins clan, The Blessman’s, The Winkle’s, The Huntley’s, The Wilson’s, and so many others too numerous to mention.

 

Chris, you hung in there through the trials of Hurricane Ike and the hard work of rebuilding while remaining positive and encouraging for everybody else.  And that old school spirit of hard work and hanging in there shows in your gardens and even in the way you keep up with work around the house.  I notice.

 

You have never quite given up your role as “Mom,” and you have fully embraced your designation as “Nana,” or “Nani,” or sometimes just “Nan.”  Shows how deeply you love them.  I notice.

 

You are amazing at planning whatever our next trip is going to be.  I can never even think of all the “what if” questions you come up with.  You are a master at covering all the bases, dealing with every contingency.  Good thing.  I just want to show up and go.  I notice. 

 

I am constantly in awe of the way you have recovered and changed your entire lifestyle after the heart attack.  And I really do appreciate the way you have attempted to “help” me change, as well.  Sorry I haven’t been as dedicated as you.  I notice.

 

And you are … well, beautiful.  Still and always.  I notice.  And I love you.

 

Song of Solomon 2:2 says, “Like a lily among thorns is my darling among the young women.”

 

Father, thank you over and over and over again – at least 47 times – for my wife.  Amen.

No comments: