Friday, June 17, 2022

June 17 – “Ready … set …”

We had another great breakfast from Diane and Larry.  Homemade waffles and bacon.  I would say we had plenty of energy from that infusion to get us into the car and onto the road with plenty left over for the ride. 

 

On the way home we listened to the child abuse training videos required for all the adult sponsor-types going to camp next week.  After the first one I took the test, passed with flying colors, and sent it to the Michelle, the children’s minister.  She replied almost immediately.  “Sorry.  You did the wrong one.  The link for the right one was in a text rather than the one in the email.”  Of course it was.  I went back through the text thread, and sure enough, there was the updated link.  So, being as how we had nowhere else to be, we listed to that one as well.  It had the identical information, sometimes even word-for-word.  The first one was much more thorough, though.  I took the test and once again passed (100%).  Even got a certificate of completion to send in.  Then we logged in with Chris’ phone so she could get certified as well.  Sadly, that meant she had to listen to the whole video again.  But she, too, passed with a perfect score.  We sent in the copy of our certificates to Michelle, and she replied with thanks for our accomplishment.  Guess we are good to go for next week. 

 

Well … at least for that part of next week.  I still have to get Josh a copy of the intro songs for the evening worship times, compile the Memory Verse activities I am responsible for at the Columbus Avenue small group Bible study time, determine what supplies I need for that and then prepare the supplies, and get a costume together and read over my parts in the teaching times with Josh.  Oh, and we still have to go to WalMart to get snacks and stuff.  Then maybe we’ll be ready to go.

 

In the meantime, last night we put together one of the four bookcases that arrived while we were gone.  It took forever because more than a few of the pieces were not identified, resulting in us putting two of them in the wrong place.  We finally figured it out, though.  The other three should be somewhat easier.  Then we have to clear the existing shelves, move the existing bookcases down, places the new ones, empty the book boxes from the garage, fill the new bookcases up.  No … probably won’t finish that project before camp. 

 

Let’s add one more thing to the list.  I am going over to the fire station this morning to watch some of the open physical agility testing for potential new hires.  It’s one of my favorite things to watch.  Those guys are really run through the wringer to see if they have what it takes. 

 

Oh, and tomorrow I have signed up to support the grand opening of a great new restaurant in town called Koop’s Barbeque.  They have provided the meats for Seaside’s anniversary as well as my retirement.  Great folks and really great food.  Go by and try it out sometime.  4501 Broadway.

 

Isaiah 12:2 says, “Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid.  The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.”

 

Father, thank you for the folks who put out the different child abuse training videos to partner with churches and camps.  Should help provide an extra level of security.  Amen.

 

No comments: