Monday, August 30, 2021

August 30 – “Dodged a bullet”

We had an “intimate” gathering of folks at church yesterday.  Smaller crowd than usual.  No visitors at all, which is really unusual.  And I was having a hard time staying focused all morning.  Not that I felt bad physically; just off.  I was wondering about all that.  It finally hit me.  The teaching was on John 3:16-7 and the verses surrounding it.  Salvation.  Not a message the devil wants to get out.  I’m just praying someone heard something that God uses in their life. 

 

Kel and his crew came over after church.  The Astros played at 1:30, and they needed a place to watch the game.  Chris and Christina put together some stuff for lunch – tacos and cheese dip and chips.  I confess that I grabbed just a few winks during the game.  Well, maybe more than a few.  I had to keep responding to texts from a certain Rangers fan who was gloating over the Astros complete collapse of the pitching staff – not that uncommon an occurrence (The collapse, not the gloating).  But that was OK.  Diane had my permission to be happy four out of the fifteen games the Astros played against the Rangers.  That’s a somewhat “respectable” .267 average for them. 

 

We were relieved to have dodged the hurricane bullet one more time.  Ida went ashore into Louisiana yesterday.  We didn’t even get any rain with this one.  I think there were a few tides that were higher than usual, but that was about it.  Season’s not over yet, though.  In fact I understand there is another one out there, churning through the Atlantic. 

 

Isaiah 55:11 says, “So is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”

 

Father, please be with the folks in Louisiana who were affected by this hurricane.  They don’t even know what they need yet physically, but they definitely need you.  Amen.

No comments: