Wednesday, August 18, 2021

August 18 – “The Ickabog???”

Chris’ birthday day began at the swimming pool.  That’s right.  A hefty dose of water exercise.  What better way to start a day of celebration, right?  OK.  I know.  On my day I wouldn’t even go for a walk.  But to each his – or her - own.  I plan to join her for a walk this morning, though.  Well, unless the predicted torrential rains actually show up.  I noticed that the weather service app has changed its mind and pushed the storms back to this afternoon now.  We’ll see if they do make it across the bay.  Or on shore if they’re coming from the Gulf.  You never can tell living on an Island. 

 

When we got back from the pool she found a gift on her rocking chair.  Upon further perusal (that means she opened it), she found inside a book.  The woman is a prolific reader.  The name of it was, The Ickabog.  There is some kind of accent mark over the “O” in “bog.”  J.K. Rowling’s newest foray into authorship.  I have no idea what it is about, but we enjoyed Harry Potter.  And you can’t beat a name like Ickabog. 

 

We continued her celebration with a special birthday lunch at one of her favorites, Salsa’s.  She often says that she could eat Mexican food three times a day.  It apparently kind of seeped into her blood when she was growing up amongst it.  Or something like that.  She tells the story better than I do.  Anyway, she had her signature grilled shrimp tacos.  I had my go-to favorite, quesadillas and a bowl of queso.  Not that we ate everything at that one sitting, mind you.  Now.  That one order will provide us with meals for at least two days, and maybe three if we spread it out a little. 

 

In the afternoon the fun continued.  We had a meeting with a financial advisor to discuss some – imagine this if you will – monetary matters.  Pretty appropriate place to start, isn’t it?  Anyway, the guy knew that it was Chris’ birthday, so he surprised her with a piece of chocolate cake.  Very decadent stuff (she shared with me). 

 

And the day-long date ended with the two of us perched on the couch.  She was reading a book and I was watching the Astros (mingled with a little bit of Little League Softball World Series in between).  Great day. 

 

Zephaniah 3:17 says, “The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves.  He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”

 

Father, thank you for my wife.  Guess I say that a lot, huh?  You done real good there.  Amen.

No comments: