Friday, August 13, 2021

August 13 – “Nature-al High”

I was up pretty early again yesterday.  No particular reason.  Just woke up at 4:30.  Convinced my self to stay in bed at least until 5, though.  That’s when I finally gave in and got up.  When I went outside to get the paper I remembered that it was supposed to be prime viewing time for the Perseid Meteor shower.  I stood in the middle of the  street out in front of the house for a while.  Saw plenty of stars, but none of them took a shot at me.  I almost gave up, but instead I went up on the deck. Pulled up a chair and settled in there, just staring at the sky.  Finally, I caught a brief flash out of the corner of my eye.  I wasn’t sure if it was really a meteor, though.  But then I saw another.  Just a brief flash.  I started for a while longer, and it paid off.  I saw one that was clearly a full-on shooting star.  Long tail and everything.  Very cool.  That was all I saw, but I was satisfied.  Successful morning.  But wait.  It wasn’t over yet.

 

We had to get to water exercise that started at 7.  The sky was still fairly clear, with some clouds.  We jumped in with the rest of the class.  Well, I jumped in.  Chris slowly lowered herself down the ladder.  She’s not fond of the shock of cool water.  The class got going kind of strong, when someone off to my left hollered out., “Hey, look!  It’s a waterspout!”  That was followed by numerous affirmations, enough in fact that the entire class started easing that direction so we could see around the big tree blocking our view.  The teacher saw that we were a lost cause, so she changed her directions to, “Move to your left, but you better be running!”  Sure enough, there was a clear funnel cloud.  Several folks thought we should get out of the pool, but the twister was a long way off, probably still over the Gulf.  So we dutifully returned to our spaces and continued with class.  And then we were met with rain in our faces.  Didn’t bother me.  I was already wet.  Some folks, Chris included, and their glasses on, though, so they couldn’t see the instructor’s command examples.  Some questioned again whether we should get out.  Nope.  Lifeguard said we were good.  Class continued. 

 

But we weren’t done with our life experiences for the day.  Over on the other side of the pool, far into the sky, we saw … a rainbow.  Perfect.  Couldn’t have ended the class on a better note.  Meteors.  Water spout.  Rainbow.  How’s that for a “nature-al” high all in one day?

 

Proverbs 22:4 says, “Humility is the fear of the Lord; its wages are riches and honor and life.”

 

Father, thank you for the chance to see three of your wonders.  Just verifies once again how amazing you and this world you created really are.  Amen.

No comments: