Friday, January 8, 2010

January 8 – “Theology 101: Caleb Edition”

 

This morning Zakary and I were playing bounce DadDad off the air mattress.  He would jump from the couch onto our air mattress.  I would then pretend to be bounced into the air and off onto the ground.  One time I bounced and landed right next to Caleb, who had been sneaking up on me.  I think I even bumped him a bit, but just barely.  It didn't hurt him, but he got scared.  He started crying, so I rolled over and started talking to him.  That changed nothing.  I hugged him.  No dice.  I helped him over onto the air mattress.  Still crying..  I rolled him over playfully, trying to get his mind off it.  Still crying.  I took him into my arms.  Still crying, but now he started pointing at the offender, at that "evil air mattress."  I stood up..  The crying stopped instantly.  He was fine.  He held onto my shirt as he surveyed the air mattress and his big brother from big ol' DadDad's perspective.  It didn't look so frightening.

 

Wow.  That's humbling.  See, I 'm a lot like Caleb bouncing on the mattress.  I'm not usually sure exactly what's happening all around me.  I sure don't understand the "whys."  Often, all I can see are the circumstances surrounding me.  I don't know the way out.  So I cry out..  But my cry is often confusing to those around me.  To some it sounds like I am angry, so they avoid me.  To others it sounds like a deafening silence – like I have retreated into myself – so they stand by quietly and wait.  Others try to help.  They speak soothingly to encourage me.  They even hug me to make sure I know they are there.  And that does help some.

 

But the nagging fear remains.  I peek from the warmth of their embrace and see the circumstance still there.  Nothing is changing.

 

It is not until I am swooped up into the arms of God that the tears – and fears – stop.  In his arms everything changes.  Still I see the circumstances, but now from His perspective..  It is, after all, only a blown-up air mattress.  Soon the air will be released, and it will be folded up and stored away – out of sight. 

 

Circumstances do change.  They change when you look at them differently.  They change when you take action in spite of them.  They change whether you do anything or not.  So don't give circumstances power over you.  Resolve to see them with God's eyes, from his perspective.  Look to him first, then act on what's happening around you.

 

Thanks Caleb.

 

1 Corinthians 2:9 says, "However, as it is written: 'No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him'"

 

Father, Give me your eyes.  Amen.


No comments: