Friday, January 15, 2010

January 15 – “DVD”

 

Today was my day to organize the collection of DVD's I use to illustrate teachings.  It was another reminder of the storm.  The vast majority of them went through the flood.  After the storm I threw away all the jackets they came in and carefully washed the DVD's.  It actually worked for most of them.  There were a few that warped strangely or scratched obviously, or skipped mysteriously, but for the most part they came through OK.  I put them in one of those CD notebooks.

 

I started out by typing them all into the computer.  Then I hit that little button that automatically alphabetizes stuff for you.  Now that is a nice feature.  The problem was that I had to go back through and separate the ones that were still in jackets from those in the notebook.  We have also been given a few of those blue ray discs, so I separated them.  Then I went through and put the ones in jackets in alphabetical order and put them back on the shelf.  I felt pretty proud of myself until Chris asked if I still had them in an order that would make it easy for the kids to find the movies geared to them.  I had actually thought about doing that with Christmas movies and my nemesis, the cartoons.  But she meant all the shows kids can watch, like Underdog and Chronicles of Narnia and Wall-E.  Back to the drawing board, I guess, although she said it would be all right the way it is.  Maybe I can just mark the master list in yellow for kids stuff.

 

Now I face the daunting task of alphabetizing the ones still in the notebook.  They are totally random in there now – the order in which I cleaned them.  That'll give me a few more minutes of work. 

 

Ouch.  This whole car thing still hurts.  I think we're going with the Cobalt, though.  Just a matter of where we can get the best deal now.  I hope.

 

Lots of other stressors flying around: Looking for a car.  Working up how we're getting the money for the car.  Chris' Mom is about the same.  My Mom has had some unusual periods where she says she just didn't feel like she could stand up any more.  The church's finances are really tight.  The school is facing some changes.  We still need $25,000 more to finish the building, and we just don't have it.  Honestly, I think about what would happen if Seaside couldn't pay me anymore.  Where could I work to cover insurance and taxes and food?  I've always thought it would be interesting to work in a funeral home.  But maybe WalMart is more realistic.  I could be one of those little guys who stand at the door and say "Welcome to WalMart" when you enter, and "Let me see your receipt, you criminal!" when you leave.  I know deep in my heart that God is in control.  I know he will take care of us.  I truly believe he will move at Seaside, too.

 

Psalms 62:5-8 says, "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.  6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.  7 My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.  8 Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."

 

Father, I could use some of that sweet kind of rest.  Worry does not make for a peaceful night's sleep.  Amen.


No comments: