Thursday, January 28, 2010

January 28 – “A movie with boys”

 

Cailyn came over for awhile this morning.  Her Mom was supposed to have Psychology class, but the teacher called in sick.  So she got back way too quickly.  To get Mom out the door with as little stress as possible, Cailyn and I sat on the floor and started playing with, well, with action figures.  We didn't have any of the big name guys, like Superman or Batman.  But we had a Little People Fireman, a few spacemen, a big robot with a tiny head, and Diego, the kid from Dora the Explorer.  She was fascinating to watch as she inspected each of the characters in turn.  The fireman she tasted, then tossed.  After all, he was shaped like a ball.  The spacemen she tasted, then turned over and over as if trying to figure out exactly what they were.  Understandable, since you couldn't see a face  on either of them.  These action figures were just not cutting it with her.  Finally, she discovered Diego.  And instantly everything was different.  She held him in both hands.  She looked at his face for a long time.  Then she cradled him like a baby and rocked him back and forth.  OK.  I guess that was the girl thing to do at that moment.  I have to admit, though, I was secretly glad that the action figure giants from DC and Marvel and Star Wars and Major League Baseball escaped that fate.

 

Before she arrived I got started on the teaching for home group tonight.  I did most of the songs without too much trouble.  I didn't finish the teaching until after she left, though.  It's going to be a fun one out of Philippians.  Rejoice. 

 

Income tax begins.  I started compiling all our stuff to send to our income tax guy.  I think this year is going to be much harder than last year.  Back then all I had to say was, "I lost everything in the flood."  This year we have to document all the rebuilding expenditures and hurricane relief loss reimbursements and energy efficient appliances and insulation and central air conditioning and heating and medical expenses and sales tax.  This is going to take awhile.

 

Jachin and Micah came over this afternoon while their Dad took their Mom to the doctor in Houston.  They watched a movie first thing – Little Mermaid II (Micah's choice).  After the movie they played awhile, then Micah came back to me.  The ensuing conversation cracked me up.

Micah: DadDad, I want to watch a princess movie.

Jachin: But I want to watch a movie with boys.

Micah: But the princess movies have 5 boys.

Jachin: Well, I want to watch one that has more than 5 boys.  I want it to have lots of boys.

OK.  First thing, I'm not really sure what Micah means by a "princess movie."  I think he would put any cartoon in that category.  But Jachin is all about Prince Caspian and Star Wars. 

 

Psalms 33:20-22 says, "We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield.  21 In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.  22 May your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put our hope in you."

 

Father, I still crave hope.  And you are the only source I know.  Amen.


No comments: