Monday, January 4, 2010

January 4 – “Roses Today”

 

Roses today.  No particular reason.  It just seemed like a "roses for Chris" kind of day.  She took Mom to an eye doctor appointment.  I was working on the sermon and had to go to the bank.  I had to cover some big checks we have to write.  All of our big insurance bills are due this month – flood and windstorm.  So is our property tax, as well as an estimated income tax payment.  The property tax was a big hit, but it is about half of what it was last year, since our house is valued based on what it appeared to be worth last December – three months after the hurricane.  Last December we still had no electricity, as I recall.  We certainly were not living here yet.  I guess we'll get re-evaluated and next year's tax will be back up there again.  One thing you can count on …

 

But I wanted Chris to know she has one more person she can count on .. me!  The first is, of course, the Lord.  And she knows that.  I just need to be careful to let her know I'm still here, too.

 

This afternoon Chris left for Houston as soon as my Mom's appointment was done.  She did at least eat lunch first.  In fact, she made some great chicken and rice soup.  The doctors are doing another cat scan on her Mom..  They are trying to find what looked like a blood clot in her lung.  As of press time they had not heard the report.  And as of press time she had not convinced her Dad to go home for the evening.  I texted Chris that he could just turn his underwear inside out and be good for a few more days.  I know if it was Chris in there, I wouldn't want to leave, either.

 

I decided to surprise Chris and take down the outside Christmas lights.  It is getting pretty nippy.  Weatherbug says 41.  Supposed to be 30 tonight.  Mom just heard on TV that we're supposed to get an arctic blast later in the week.  It's supposed to get cold.  That's great.  Just in time for our trip to Mansfield for Caleb's birthday party.  Maybe we will see snow this year.

 

Psalms 10:17 says, "You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry"

 

Father, please encourage Chris.  I feel like she is going to need it soon.  Amen.

 


No comments: