Wednesday, January 6, 2010

January 6 – “The antifreeze is fine”

 

Today is Preparation Day for our trip to Mansfield tomorrow for Caleb's first birthday party.  First things first.  We took the Explorer in to the shop for an oil change and to make sure it could stand the cold.  It's supposed to be 19 degrees here, so up there it will be around 14 or 15.  We got a call from our mechanic.  He said, "I have some good news and some bad news."  That's never a good conversation starter when it involves a car.  He continued, "The good news is: your antifreeze is fine.  The bad news is: your universal joints are about to give out.  You can't take this car on a long road trip." 

 

Well, now that leaves us some options.  Fix it – pour more money into a car we have already decided to get rid of.  Take the truck on our trip and look for a new car next week after Chris gets back from taking her Mom to the doctor on Tuesday (she'll have to drive the truck to Bay City).  Rent a car – pay about what it would cost to have this one fixed.  Borrow a car.  I guess there are more possibilities, but we decided to go with door number two and just take the truck to Mansfield and Bay City until we get a new one.  Our mechanic said the Explorer would probably be fine to drive in town for awhile longer. 

 

Chris decided to stop on her way home and get her hair cut.  She's been wanting to since before Christmas, and hasn't had time. She deserves this one.  It looks good, too.

 

Our youth associate Cory started his ten month stint as youth group teacher tonight.  Mike is going to Tennessee for a class in CSI stuff.  Cory did well.  He feels kind of overwhelmed every time he teaches.  That's a good thing.  Keeps him humble.  He'll remember who is in charge.

 

I tested out the back seat of the truck going to and from youth group tonight.  It's going to be a long trip to Mansfield.  Maybe I can build a little platform and put some pillows on it so I'll have a place to sit comfortably when I turn sideways.  If I sit with perfect posture, facing the front, right behind the driver's seat, then my hair touches the ceiling.  Who can sit like that for longer than two minutes, anyway?  I'll figure something out.

 

Proverbs 20:7 says, "The righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him."

 

Father, I really want my kids to be blessed.  I guess this means I need to live a blameless life.  Help.  Amen.


No comments: