Tuesday, January 19, 2010

January 19 – “Computer update”

 

I got called back into duty today.  We needed to fax a manuscript of one of the Seaside Christian academy students to their next school, but the file with the transcripts was nowhere to be found on the computer.  I was working on the sermon, but that sounded enough like a crisis that I headed on over.  Sure enough, the files just weren't there.  That computer had been reformatted after I "left" and the operating system and software reloaded.  I checked what version of Word was there.  It was 2000.  But when I was using that computer, and thus when the files were backed up, I used Word 2007.  Hence the difficulty.  The older version couldn't figure out how to read the new stuff.  So I tried to load the new stuff.  That's when I got a message saying it needed  Windows XP service pack 2.  I remembered that one from a long time ago.  I remembered it because it took forever to load.  My task for the day was set.

 

I went to Windows Update.  It sent out 86 updates.  That took awhile.  Then I restarted the computer and the "You have updates" icon came up.  So I updated those.  Then I went to Windows Update again, because I still hadn't seen service pack 2 come through.  Sure enough, it had more updates.  62 of them.  When that batch finished and I rebooted.  Hesitantly I headed to Windows Update again.  And there it was.  Service Pack 2.  So I got comfortable and let 'er rip.  It took a little over 30 minutes.  And when I happily rebooted this time, I thought I was done.  But the icon came on.  Seems I now had some updates to the update that I needed to update.  I let that finish and again rebooted.  Carefully I went back to Windows Update.  And there was another one.  Service Pack 3.  Bring it on.  This time there was no icon, but I tried Update again.  11 more.  But they were the last.  Finally.

 

So now I could begin updating the software.  That didn't take near as long.  But it was happening over lunch.  Two of the high school students went over to Subway and brought me back a turkey sandwich.  That one finally finished and we had Word 2007 back. 

 

Before it had time to tell me it needed updates, I hurriedly took care of the transcript issue and printed out what we needed.  And I almost took a deep breath.  But then I remembered that I hadn't loaded on any virus protection software.  I go that done with little drama, and boldly punched the live update icon.  64 to download.  I sat back down. 

 

It finally finished around 2:00.  I had a chance to meet all the new students and say hello to the old ones.  They have all heard that I'll be filling in again, so it was a reunion of sorts.  Tonight we had Cailyn for an hour or so while her Mom went to an orientation for one of her college classes.  She stuck to me like glue.  Except when Nana changed her diaper.  That's my girl.

 

Mark 11:22-25 says, "Have  faith in God," Jesus answered. 23 "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

 

Father, I just noticed that last part about forgiving when I'm praying..  That's some tough multi-tasking.  Amen.


No comments: