Saturday, January 23, 2010

January 23 – “You want me to what?”

Today we had to be at Mall of the Mainland around ten a.m. to pick up some bookcases donated to Seaside Christian Academy by a WaldenBooks that is going out of business.  We just have to pick them up and deliver them.  I got Nathan and Kel to help me out, and Nathan brought his friend Ben.  We  had two trucks, so we thought that would be plenty of room for ten bookcases. 

 

Not so.  We parked at the closest entrance to the store, and still had to walk a long way inside.  We talked the whole way about how hard it was going to be to get those bookcases all the way through the mall and back to our trucks.  Maybe we could take them apart?  Maybe we could tie them down?  Ah.  When we got there we found a back door that opened to the parking lot.  That was a Godsend.  The bookcases were big and bulky and couldn't be taken apart without great hassle.  And only two would fit into each truck.  That turned out to be not a bad thing, because they don't actually close to the public until Tuesday, and they are still using them.  Ben and Nathan did the really heavy lifting.  Kel and I helped out with the shelves and hardware.  We had some help at the church, though.  Robert was there with Hutch, so he helped get them into the building.  Probably the biggest help, though, was the piano dolly.  Nathan and Ben were very happy to meet it.

 

After the delivery we rushed madly to San Jacinto College South gym.  This weekend was homecoming for the homeschool basketball team we used to be involved with.  Nathan and Ben played and I coached.   Chris and I went to watch Nathan and Ben play in the alumni game, and to see if anyone we knew would be there. 

 

We did see a few old friends.  Two of the guys who played on Josh's team, Joel and Robert, were there.  They just watched.  It was a lot of fun..  The alumni played against the current varsity.  There were at least fifteen alumni on the bench.  Good thing.  They needed frequent breaks.  Chris had to tell me to not be so loud.  But this was my chance to be a fan, so I rooted for the Old Guys – loudly.

 

After their game they all gathered at midcourt for a big picture..  I got one with our camera and started talking with some of the other coaches and Dads.  Then one of them asked if I was going to play in the next game.  "What next game is that?" I asked.  "Oh, the varsity is playing the coaches and parents, and we want you to play with us."  I answered, "You want me to do what?"  About that time several other guys I knew came over and "encouraged" me to play.  They had only nine guys, so they needed one more so they could sub out the whole team all at once.  Well … how could I refuse?  They were so persuasive.  I gave my phone and glasses and wallet to Nathan and told him not to tell Chris until after the game began.  So I played.  Not all that well, mind you.  Let's just say the three or four days I've been walking a mile a day was not sufficient training for this particular event.  I had a great time.  And Chris was even kind.  After the expected, "No sympathy from me" comment, she asked where I was hurting.  Notice, not "if" I was hurting.  Nathan asked pretty much the same thing.  That family of mine is awesome.  They really know me, don't they?  I withhold my answer to the question until tomorrow.  I have some medication I need to take this afternoon first.

 

1 Chronicles 16:11-12 says, "Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.  12 Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced"

 

Father, it was good to see old friends – two days in a row.  Thanks for that blessing..  Amen.


No comments: