Thursday, August 27, 2009

August 27 – “Y’all party, too”

 

Today Josh and I went into the back yard to check out the patio they are putting in.  Josh is doing it himself, so he is meticulously going over the details time after time.  We went to Home Depot to buy the materials, but ended up just getting some of them.  He's going to go back Saturday and rent a truck.  He'll get some of the kids form church to help him unload the 78 pavestones and 15 bags of sand among other things.  The guy who helped us out was wearing a Home Depot apron with "Dios es vida" written on it.  Josh didn't know what it meant, so I struck up a conversation with the guy about it.  It means "God is life."  The guy got really excited to be talking to some fellow believers.

 

We also went to meet the teacher day at Zakary's preschool.  He starts next Tuesday.  His room had a bunch of frogs all over the place.  Not real ones.  But he and his MeeMaw were in "frog heaven."

 

After lunch at a Mexican restaurant named Cha-Cha's (No, really.  That was the name of it), we went by the church for a surprise party they were having for their pastor.  He made a wisecrack about me on my Facebook page back when it was my birthday, so I looked forward to the opportunity to return the favor.  He made a comment about being 49, so I innocently asked, "Again?"  It was effective.

 

I got my hair cut this afternoon.  I went to the same place I went to last year while we were evacuated up here.  They asked for my phone number and then casually asked if I wanted it cut the same way as last time.  The computer hadn't forgotten me.  I just as casually answered, "Sure."

 

This evening was the visitation time before the funeral tomorrow.  When we drove into the parking lot, a friend was leaving.  She rolled down her window and warned us that the place was packed.  She was right.  But it was a really big funeral home.  The atmosphere was very joyous.  The guy had been a Christian for many years.  At one point another friend came up to Chris and said he didn't understand this whole thing.  He had never been to one of these where people were so … happy.  Chris had a great answer.  She said, "Do you mean this party atmosphere?  David, that's how Kelley and I want it at our funerals, too.  See, we're going to be partying where we are, so we want y'all to party, too

 

1 Peter 3:8-9 says, "Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. 9 Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing."

 

Father, Thank you for the party going on where you are, welcoming Richard home.  Amen.


No comments: