Wednesday, August 19, 2009

August 19 – “Trim”

 

Today Chris and I worked together.  Well, I guess to be more accurate I should say, we worked at the same time sort of near each other.  I got a lot done on the sermon after I woke up pretty early.  Any time before six is pretty early to me, and it was around ten 'til.  Chris was fired up about getting some painting done, so today we painted.  And I decided that I really don't like to paint trim.  You have to be too careful.  And then when you accidentally bleed over into the other color, you get frustrated because now you have to touch up the other color.  And you know good and well that you'll probably get some of the other color on this color and have to do the whole thing over again.

 

We discussed this afternoon how we were back to feeling overwhelmed again.  For awhile it was overwhelming to think about all that had to be done before we could get back into the house.  Today Chris realized the overwhelming nature of the individual projects we still have to get done.  Painting the outside trim.  Hanging pictures.  Emptying those final few boxes, and then going over to Terri's garage and getting some more.  Finding a place for everything when there is no place to put anything else.  She did a great job on painting.  We still have a lot to go.

 

The tile guy was supposed to be here today or tomorrow.  I should have known better.  Maybe they'll get here tomorrow.

 

I didn't realize how tired I was until I took a shower and sat still for a few minutes.  I fell asleep in my chair.  The harsh ring of the telephone woke me.  It was the Cancer society wanting me to mail stuff to my neighbors.  Then the doorbell rang.  It was Jachin and Micah and Kel.  Their electricity went out so they came over to get cool.  Just as they drove up, the electric company called to let them know their power was back on.  They stayed for supper.

 

Youth group was kind of fun tonight.  I did a dance with one of the girls to a praise song.  She had made a comment earlier about how she was sad and didn't want to sing this particular song, because her two good friends were not there to dance with her.  That sure sounded like a dare.  Maybe a challenge.  At least an invitation.  I couldn't resist.  My back did okay, too.  At least until later on.

 

Psalms 89:9 says, "You rule over the surging sea; when its waves mount up, you still them."

 

Father, please keep those waves stilled for the rest of this hurricane season.  We could sure use the break.  Amen.


No comments: