Sunday, August 23, 2009

August 23 – “A Little Rocking Chair”

 

Church this morning was quite eventful.  I announced a marriage seminar for the first time.  It's not until the end of September.  But one couple signed up right after church.  I mentioned that we have a second interview with a potential headmistress Tuesday night.  After the service I had a lady volunteer to lead a PE class for high schoolers.  She's a personal trainer and used to be a competitive body builder.  And her husband offered to teach a course in Art.  So some things are coming together. 

 

I found out that a wedding I had scheduled to do in October no longer needs me.  A brother of one of the couple just found out he could come from Alaska, and he is a minster, so he will perform the ceremony.  However, I added a rehearsal for the other wedding I had in October. 

 

Someone called and left a message on the church answering machine.  The entire first part was completely garbled, so I had no idea who it was or what their phone number was.  But then suddenly the message became as clear as day, "…so I really want my daughter to go to school in Jamaica Beach.  Please call me."  Now if anyone knows who that was, please tell her to call back.

 

We had lunch with Rita and some of the students at Tortuga's Mexican food.  I had cheese enchiladas with cheese sauce on top.  I really like cheese.

 

Chris left for her Mom's again this afternoon.  Looks like her Mom will probably have her lungs drained again tomorrow after an ultrasound. 

 

After she left, I cleaned up a small table we brought over from our friend's garage.  It fits well as a bedside table.  The one we were using was too small.  I moved it to the end of the hall.  I don't know where Chris will want it.  I also started making a replacement rocker for a little kids' rocking chair we had in the garage.  That's some hard work without the proper tools.  I had to cut a piece of two by four with a scroll saw.  Not an easy task.  Then I had to rip it down to just over an inch and a half wide with that same scroll saw.  The drill part was no problem.  I had Kel's drill and he has a set of bits with almost the perfect size attachment.  My next problem is sanding the whole thing down.  My drill sanding attachment drowned, so until I get another one, I'll be sanding by hand.  That rocker will take awhile to finish.  I still have two other chairs out in the garage to sand and refinish, and several chairs inside that need the same thing.  But we need them inside right now.

 

Tonight I have been watching the Miss Universe pageant with Mom.  For some reason she has always liked that sort of thing.  Anyway, we made a game of the whole thing.  Of the ten semifinalists I chose USA and Australia to make the top five.  Australia did, but not a single blonde made it, so no USA.  There's got to be some prejudice in there somewhere.  None of them made a whole lot of sense in answering their question from the judges, so I didn't know who to pick.

 

Psalms 97:10 says, "Let those who love the Lord hate evil, for he guards the lives of his faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked."

 

Father, that verse was new to me today.  We can be bold in confronting evil because you are our Guard.  Amen.


No comments: