Monday, August 24, 2009

August 24 – “The Tree”

 

Isn't there some kind of famous poem about a tree floating around out there somewhere?  Well, there was also a tree floating around out there somewhere until sometime this afternoon.  It found its way to our front yard.  I was checking in textbooks to see what we still needed for Seaside Christian Academy this afternoon when the doorbell rang.  I didn't recognize the guy, so I opened the door.  He said, "I have your tree."  Honestly, I thought it was a joke.  I almost said, "But I didn't lose one."  But he didn't laugh.  All he did was hold out the delivery form.  He asked if that was me and was that my address.  I said it was, but that I didn't buy a tree.  I asked if it was paid for.  He assured me it was.  I tried to call Chris to ask if she snuck out and bought it, but she didn't answer her phone.  Finally I said, "OK.  Bring it on." 

 

Then he got me a second time.  He said, "Where do you want me to put it?"  Now, I knew Chris wanted another crepe myrtle tree.  And I knew at one time where she wanted it.  But that was a long time ago.  She has toyed with three or four places since then.  I asked if he could just put the pot over by the porch.  He answered, "No, sir.  I'm supposed to plant it for you."  What?  By now I was really laughing.  I finally directed him to that original spot Chris had chosen back when we cut the big tree down and had it mulched.  I hope it's somewhere close to where she wanted it.  She is due home any minute, from Bay City, so I guess I'll find out.  Maybe she knows where it came from.

 

I didn't hear from our contractor today or the back door lock guy or the chimney lady.  I did a lot of headmaster stuff, so I only had a little time to work on the kids-size rocking chair rocker.  I did some serious sanding.  Even used my dremel when my arm and thumb gave out.  I think it'll work if I get enough glue in there.  While I was on a roll I also began sanding one of the other chairs in the garage.  It's a little one that we've had for a long time.  It looks really fragile, but it has held up for a long time.  Sometimes things just aren't as they seem on the outside.  Kind of like a lot of Christians.

 

Romans 8:5-6 says, "Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6 The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace."

 

Father, I give you control the best I know how.  I crave your peace.  Amen.


No comments: