Monday, August 17, 2009

August 17 – “New Old Bed”

 

Last night we put together our bed that "made it" through the storm.  Actually the side rails were permanently bent into the position they were forced into by our cedar chest forcing its way underneath.  And they were made of wood.  Chris couldn't bring herself to let me throw them away, though.  Anyway, we used some siderails from another old bed and slept in our new old bed last night.  We were both so tired that collapsed was more like it.  And now tonight I'll be in it all by myself, since Chris is in Bay City.

 

She texted me when she got there.  Her Mom's cancer count went down a little this time.  Good news in a little package, I guess.  She goes tomorrow for a next round of chemo and maybe to have her lungs drained of fluid again.  This time they may leave a tube in so it can drain without doing the procedure every time.

 

Chris' brother Lee left a message on my cell phone for Chris.  He said, "I just wanted to know what it was like to be 55, since I won't know for awhile yet."  That's classic brother-sister humor.  I called to make sure she had the opportunity to appreciate it.  He had already tracked her down and done some more "humor" to encourage her on her birthday.

 

I put her gift on our bed this morning after it was made (the bed, not the gift).  That's what Chris always does with my gift, except she usually does it at night and then goes to sleep.  She was about to walk out the door, and I asked her if she found it.  She had not.  The funny thing was, she had put the old wrapping from my gift right on top of it.  It was a little gold cross I found that I liked.  It made loops at each point of the cross.  I think she liked it.  She put it on right away, anyway.  She made the comment that she had been wearing the same cross since the storm because she hasn't unpacked her jewelry yet.  She's afraid to see what might not have made it.

 

Nathan and Cailyn came by around lunchtime to say happy birthday to Nani.  I noticed that's what they are calling Chris now.  It's what Zakary uses, so I guess we'll just have to keep up with how to sign cards and stuff.  After some scrumptious burgers from Sonic, Nathan and I pulled down the painters' tape from around the windows and doors.  We still need to do touchup, but it looks pretty good so far. 

 

My distant cousins from Spring showed up today, too.  They were doing a day trip to drive around Galveston and just stopped by to say hi.  Didn't even come inside.  Mom knew she knew them, but couldn't place exactly who they were.  It's been years since we saw them last, so I don't blame her.

 

Amos 5:14 says, "Seek good, not evil, that you may live.  Then the Lord God Almighty will be with you, just as you say he is."

 

Father, I want you to be with me.  Help me seek and then see where to do good.  Amen.


No comments: