Tuesday, August 25, 2009

August 25 – “The Tree – Revealed”

 

Chris was great fun when she got home last night.  She was extremely tired as she drove into the driveway and parked right next to the brand new resident of our front yard – TheTree.  Or as Nathan named it from the garbled inscription on a tag near the bottom, Nutchez.  We found out later that it actually said "Natchez" which is a type of tree.  In fact the best of the crepe myrtle strain from what we read.  But Chris never saw it.  Her eyes were glazed over as I walked outside to greet her.  She said a weak "Hi" and I kissed her hello.  She began telling me about her drive home as she rose from the front seat, never glancing to her left.  So I started moving.  And her eyes followed as she talked.  And then, there it was.  She noticed the tree.  And the only words that came out of her mouth for the next three to five minutes were, "We have a tree in our yard," or some variation thereof. 

 

I had a pain-filled night last night.  I kept waking up, I guess any time I rolled over.  My back was sore.  My toes hurt.  My elbows hurt.  My knuckles hurt.  I almost got up to take more motrin, but I was also mystified by the dreams I kept having.  None lasted long, but they were all about real people I knew.  None were bad.  In fact most were kind of funny, best I can recall.  But Chris and I have a pact that whenever we dream about someone and remember the dream, it means we will pray for that person.  I spent a lot of time praying for people last night.  I just hope I didn't keep Chris awake with my tossing and turning.

 

We found out this afternoon that a friend of ours died in Arlington.  We decided that we really needed to go to the funeral.  His daughter and her husband are very close friends, and they were among those who came to Galveston to help with our house and the church.  We plan to leave in the morning and come back Saturday. 

 

The second interview with the potential headmistress went well.  She had done her homework, and once again had a lot to say.  When Mike finally asked what it was going to take to bring her on board, she said, "How about a house?"  She lives in Houston right now and wants to move back to Galveston.  Mike's answer was, "Well, that gives us something specific to pray for.  Let's see what God opens up."  Anybody out there have a little beach house on the West End our headmistress can live in?

 

James 5:13 says, "Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise."

 

Father, we're not actually in trouble, but we could sure use your help here.  Can we use one of your houses near the school?  Amen.


No comments: