Monday, April 6, 2009

April 6 – “At least it’s fresh”

 

Chris left early this morning to take her mom to another doctor's appointment.  So I left at the same time.  I had to put out the Ozarka empties at the house for the delivery due today.  No one was there when I arrived, so I decided to do some house cleaning.  There were blobs of tape-and-bed mud all over the floor.  I figured the floor guys would have to clean up before they could begin, so I wanted to give them a head start.  I got all the rooms done that were going to be wood-floored before they arrived.  Sure enough, the first thing they unloaded was a huge wet-dry vac.  And they didn't need it all that much.  So pat me on the back.

 

They unloaded a truckload of wood of different shapes and sizes.  It all fit in the kitchen.  They also moved the two huge boxes with the bathroom vanities in them into the kitchen.  Good thing we expanded that place.  Then they dug a trench in Chris' front flowerbed.  I had no idea what that was for, but it was actually an ingenious fire pit of sorts so they could heat up the tar for the floor.  That brought forth some interesting feelings within me.  I spent a lot of hours scraping up the old tar that was under the old wood floors, and here they were pouring more back on.  At least it was fresh.  And it did the job.  The tar held a bunch of two by fours in place on the floor.  Then a layer of plastic covered them.  That became the sub-floor.  The final wood floor was then applied on top of that.  And it was nice looking.  I stopped back by the house later to pick up the mail and they were close to being finished.  Well, I have no idea what all they need to do, but there was pretty wood covering most of the floor.  I can't wait for Chris to see it.  I can't wait for everyone to see it.

 

We have another big decision to make soon.  The contractor said the bids for the interior trim and doors are in.  Chris really wants the kind of baseboards we can stain to match the interior of our windows.  The other option is the kind that you just paint.  The paint kind have a lot of seams in them.  The stain kind have a more consistent grain.  There's also a big difference in the doors.  Overall the price difference is more than $3000.  Where can we cut to make it happen?

 

Psalm 51:7 says, "Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow."

 

Father, I guess I'm glad I spent all that time scraping the floor clean to make it ready for the fresh stuff.  Thanks for scraping me clean and making me ready for your fresh stuff.  Amen.


No comments: