Saturday, April 18, 2009

April 18 – “Do it really fast”

 

And today started with such promise.  I guess most days do, especially if you are inherently an optimist.  Chris was home.  All we really had to do today was clean the church sometime between noon and six.  I decided to finish painting the fireplace and the old pot Chris asked me to paint.  The fireplace doors didn't take long.  The pot didn't either, but I had to wait for the top part to dry before I could finish.  I was all set to start in on something else when Chris reminded me that Sears was having a sale today on washers and dryers.  Those are the only two appliances we haven't replaced yet.  So off we went to the Mall.  It really didn't take long for Chris to choose.   She knew which features were deal breakers, so we went right to the ones that matched up.  There were basically three choices.  She eliminated the most expensive because it had too many bells and whistles – too much to go wrong.  She really likes the ones we picked, though.  And we were able to tie them on to the delivery order for the rest of the stuff.  That saved us another delivery fee.  And they even had a no interest – no payments for one year deal.  That'll be handy.

 

We got home with no problem, but that's when the stormy weather began.  The wind has been blowing hard for several days now.  Today it got worse and added rain to it.  In spite of the weather, Mom decided she wanted to take her crochet stuff and come with us.  Again, we had no trouble getting there, and we were hard at work when the phone rang.  It was Lanny, worried about us.  He said a tornado had been spotted headed through Hitchcock toward Tiki Island and Jamaica Beach.  That had a chance to hit us twice.  Omega Bay is basically the same as Hitchcock, and we were in Jamaica Beach at the church.  I told Chris and we left in a hurry.  Maybe not such a good idea.  The closer we got to the seawall, the harder the rain fell.  Then hail started.  Then bolt lightning.  Kel called.  Their house was leaking, but he invited us to come there.  Nathan called.  He was at work, and when he found out we were out in it, he chewed us out.  We made it onto the seawall, and finally got to the turn for our house.  Maybe not such a good idea.  The street was flooded pretty bad.  We were in one of those heralded SUV's, though (albeit an old one).  We made it fine.  And the water got worse.  And I started getting driving tips from Mom in the back seat.  I was never so glad to see Sycamore, even if our house wasn't livable yet.  The rain let up a bit, so Chris and I decided to check out the inside of the house.  She hadn't seen the texture yet.  And guess what we saw when we entered?  Water on the floor.  Thank goodness it wasn't the new wood floor.  And the tile is not in yet.  But it meant a leak somewhere.  We followed the trail.  One spot I expected.  It was dripping the vent to the hot water heater that hasn't been installed yet.  It wasn't all that bad, though.  I put a bucket under it.  But it was obvious there was another leak.  We kept looking.  And we found it.  There was water coming in really bad through the electrical panel.  The face piece was off, so we could see it.  It was entering in at the top and dripping all the way down through every breaker, down the sheetrock and onto the floor.  When the shock wore off – well, I don't think it has worn off, but we had to do something – we headed for Omega Bay.  But before we got off the street, we started having second thoughts.  Mainly about leaving the breakers on.  But I didn't want to touch them if it meant getting shocked or worse.  I turned the car around, and there down the street was a fire engine.  I decided to ask them.  The young guy I talked to was very patient with me.  He said definitely turn them off.  When I said I was worried about getting electrocuted, he said, "Do it really fast."  Thanks.  Now we have to call the contractor first thing Monday morning.  I hope it doesn't hold up the cabinet installation.  How depressing.

 

Psalms 143:7-8 says, "Answer me quickly, O Lord; my spirit fails.  Do not hide your face from me or I will be like those who go down to the pit.  Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you.  Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul."

 

Father, thank you for being there when my spirit fails.  Forgive me when it happens way too often.  Amen.


No comments: