Monday, April 27, 2009

April 27 – “Causes and Cures”

 

It occurred to me that I never mentioned the things that have caused me to get depressed.  I have a top ten.  I guess "general stress" comes in at number ten.  "General stress" includes virtually everything that has happened in Galveston over the last six months.  Name something.  Number nine for me would be exhaustion.  This one is especially tough, because it creates a cycle.  I get really tired, which causes me to get frustrated, which cause me to get depressed, which makes me even more tired.  Number eight would be people who cause dissent in God's church.  It is so sad to see someone who claims to be a Christian behave so much unlike Jesus.  Number seven, number six, number five, number four, number three, number two, and number one are all the same one for me.  Pain.  Nagging, never-quite-ever-goes-away pain. 

 

I guess I should speak to cures for depression, too.  I know all about the drugs and counselors and "just getting over it" advice people are free to shell out.  None of those ever did much for me.  In fact, only one thing ever really works for me – refocus.  Depression is an incredibly selfish event.  All you can think about is "me, me, me."  I have to remind myself – and it takes awhile for me to hear me – that the circumstances around me and within me are not the important thing.  The only thing that really matters is staying in touch with Jesus.  It's about him, not me.  It's about him, not the dissatisfied spreader of dissent in the church.  It's about him, not about teaching about him.  I thought for a time that all I have to do is "count my blessings" or "see" the good around me.  Actually, though, it's only after I refocus on Jesus effectively that I can appreciate the positive events surrounding me. 

 

Speaking of positive events, some good things happened around our house today.  The Amish cabinets were installed.  Well, they will finish the trim part when the countertops get here next week.  They are really beautiful.  The entire look of the kitchen has changed.  It's not the Momma's kitchen you remember, boys.  The trim crew was there today as well.  We found out that "trim crew" actually means the guys who install inside doors, attic stairs, molding along the floor, and trim around the windows.  And those inside doors are beautiful.  They will be stained later on, but they sure are pretty pine now.  The air conditioning guys came as well today.  They were going to install the vents and thermostat, but they can't do that until the walls and ceiling have been painted.  That is scheduled for next week (or as soon as Chris and I can finish picking out colors).  Undeterred, however, they installed a temporary thermostat so the wood floors can begin to acclimate to a less humid environment.  After a week or so, the floor can be sanded and stained.  

 

Philippians 2:9-11 says, "Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

 

Father, I want to stay focused on what matters.  I want to care only about what you think.  Forgive me when I don't.  Amen.


No comments: