Tuesday, April 21, 2009

April 21 – “God’s at Luby’s”

The big house news for today was a delivery.  Mom and I postponed our Luby's date and went down around eleven to wait for the Amish cabinet guys.  I think she was more excited to see them than I was.  She took her crochet stuff and set up shop in one of the rocking chairs on the front porch. 

 

We didn't have to wait long.  That big old long trailer pulled up and the Amish cabinet guys jumped out.  I joined Mom on the porch.  We waited patiently as they unloaded.  As each cabinet passed us, Mom wanted to know where it was going.  One of the cabinet guys was really good about telling her every time.  In a word, they were beautiful.  But as I told Keegan the Amish Cabinet Guy, "I'm not the one you have to please.  She's out of town today."  He laughed a bit nervously.  But seriously, they were gorgeous.  And it seemed like there were so many of them.  I mean, there was one that houses the refrigerator, one for the oven, and one for the pantry that go clear to the ceiling.  The corner one was fascinating.  I liked the little drawer in it that looks like two.  And inside it had two of those lazy susan things.  The microwave shelf looked really sturdy.  The desk shelf looked good enough to put in my office.  They are sitting in the kitchen and cover half of the family room as well.  They will be back Monday to actually install them.

 

After we basked in the glow of the cabinet stain for awhile, we headed on over to Luby's.  It was just us today.  And as we reached for our trays I heard something quite unusual for Luby's.  One of the servers was talking to someone in the back, and said, "Well, praise the Lord."  I smiled at her as she turned and I said, "That's what I like to hear.  Keep on praising the Lord."  She laughed and skipped away.  Chris called right after that, and I talked to her all the way through the line and for awhile after we sat down.  Mom went ahead and started eating.  As I hung up, an elderly couple took the table next to us, and the lady bustled about emptying the man's tray.  With her standing there fussing over him, the old gentleman quietly bowed his head and said a prayer.  She stopped and bowed her head as well.  Apparently this wasn't the first time.  He finished, she joined him and the meal continued.  About the time I started on my key lime pie, I heard a sound behind me.  It was the "Praise the Lord" lady.  Now she was singing a praise song as she headed back to her post.  All those were minor things, I know.  But taken together, they hit me very strongly.  God was at Luby's.  Even at Luby's.

 

Psalms 103:20-22 says, "Praise the Lord, you his angels, you mighty ones who do his bidding, who obey his word.   Praise the Lord, all his heavenly hosts, you his servants who do his will.   Praise the Lord, all his works everywhere in his dominion.  Praise the Lord, O my soul."

 

Father, thank you for the "Praise the Lord" lady and the praying man.  Bless them.  Amen.


No comments: