Saturday, June 24, 2023

June 24 - “No, literally”

Well, my day was a real stab in the back. No, literally. I was stabbed in the back three or four times, actually. No.  I’m not talking about being betrayed. That’s for novelists. I got stabbed. 


Perhaps I should explain. Yesterday morning was my day to receive a steroid injection in my back as an attempt to stifle the pain from ruptured and bulging discs and spinal stenosis. We had to drive into Texas for the big event. It took from around 9:30 to 10:45.  A very brief instant in the grand scheme of things. But included in that instant was the excruciating injection of medicine. 


Why so painful? Well, in the doc’s words, the procedure was “challenging.”  Much more so than he expected. Because of some scar tissue left from a previous surgery, he had to approach the target site from below instead of directly on or even from the side. That meant two or three times the usual numbing medication before the actual tub of steroids dumped through a huge needle. The numbing ones were no big deal. But that big one … It … hurt. 


Afterwards, the nurse hit me with the glorious news that it may take a week or so for the stuff to take effect. Wonderful. Meanwhile, there will probably be numerous side effects … like little sleep and hot flashes and, well, pain. Thank you very much.


I did pretty well last night. I stayed up and watched the entire Astros game live from Los Angeles. Never even got sleepy. I was worried when I went to bed around midnight that it was going to be a long night. But I actually slept until five. Not bad considering I set the alarm for 6:30 so we could get Cailyn to her soccer camp. Guess now I just have to wait it out to see how everything pans out from here. 


Proverbs‬ ‭22‬:‭6‬ ‭says, Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.

‭‭

Father, thank you for the hope of relief. Please help it, well, help. Amen. 

No comments: