Tuesday, March 9, 2021

March 9 – “An elegant dining experience”

I got my three-mile hike in early yesterday while Chris was at cardiac rehab.  Good thing, too.  Had a big day afterwards.  Oh, on the walk I did have a really great chat with one of the fire fighters who also happens to be a neighbor.  He was taking a walk with his little son and much bigger dog. 

 

The big day started out when I left to meet the insurance adjuster at the church.  He was going to review the damages we incurred during the Deep Freeze that Winter Storm Megan dumped on us.  The appointment was for “sometime between eleven and noon.”  I was almost to the church when I got a call from Ed, who is our contractor for the job.  Seems he got a call from his workers who were getting things ready to work on the retreat center.  The inspector showed up at 10:30, insisting that was the time he was given.  Ed rushed over to give him the preliminary information he would need from the contractor standpoint.  All they needed from me was the answers to a few questions and the keys to the retreat center.  Hey, don’t mind me.  I’m just the pastor.  Not many answers to the questions he had, but I do have keys. 

 

He went around taking pictures of pretty much everything from ceiling tiles to bathroom fixtures.  He recommended replacing all the plumbing under the retreat center building rather than trying to piece together every little crack that might show up.  That’s good.  Ed was planning to do that anyway.  Once we get him all the paperwork (they wanted to see the last three months’ electric bills), he will turn it all in and the waiting game will begin.

 

Ed and I went to lunch after the meeting.  Ed’s restaurant of choice?  Waffle House.  It is an old-style dining experience.  No, I mean an old diner experience.  There.  That’s way more accurate.  There is a long counter with stools you can sit at, or some booths around the sides.  The cooks are right there in front of you.  The waitresses call out your order in code, and the rarely write anything down.  Got our order exactly right, though.  Hash browns that were nice and crispy.  Fresh eggs.  Wheat toast.  Bacon on the side and to top it all off, a waffle (Hence … Waffle House).  Oh, and plenty of butter all around.  On everything.  Not at all the kind of place someone recovering from a heart attack should frequent, but really good.  No frills.  Good service.  Fast service.  Kind of loud, but a really fun atmosphere.  And apparently they are always busy.  Needless to say, Ed is a regular.  And they might just see me back again …

 

John 14:26 says, “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”

 

Father, please be with those restaurant workers we met yesterday.  They are really working hard at what they do.  Amen.

No comments: