Thursday, March 4, 2021

March 4 – “Saga of the Heart III: I’m Baaack”

Yes … sadly.  The title means exactly what it says.  Once again Chris was back in the Emergency Room yesterday.  She was experiencing the exact same symptoms she was having before the heart attack back in November.  Shortness of breath, hot flashes, light-headedness, nausea, and the tell-tale stabbing pain in the middle of her back.  Only this time she was having lunch with Lauren from Church at Pit Stop Barbecue (No, she didn’t order a rack of ribs.  She had a chicken salad).  And this time the nausea won the day.  She threw up.  Last straw for Lauren.  She got Chris to the car and drove her home.  That effectively put the ball in my court.

 

Once I heard what was going on, my decision was already made.  See, I made it after the last spell like that she had.  I vowed to her that next time would be a trip to the ER, no if’s, and’s, or but’s.  She still wasn’t completely convinced, though, so I didn’t hesitate to call in the big guns.  I asked Nathan to come over and help me negotiate.  He said he would be right over.  Actually, he said “we” would be right over.  There it was.  He went right past the big guns and into the weapons of mass destruction category.  He was bringing April. 

 

Sure enough, it didn’t take long before Chris agreed to be taken to the ER.  April even came along to serve as interpreter, guide through her own personal stomping grounds (She is an ER nurse), and all-around familiar face.  Greatly appreciated.  They raced us through the check-in procedure and had us in a room in mere minutes after we arrived.  Monitors were all hooked up in a jiffy, with all the beeps and whistles we could hope for.  Blood drawn, urine sample taken.  The ER doc was amazing.  He ordered tests for everything he could think of, from head to toe.  Yep.  They even did a CT scan of her head to see if there was anything there.  That was an exciting moment.  No, I don’t mean the discovery of actual brain matter, although that was exhilarating.  After the head scan, they rolled her quickly into the hall to make way for some trauma case that had just come in.  About an hour later, they remembered she was still out there and finished her scans.  I was glad for me that April was around to talk to.  Chris had a coveted front row seat to all the action.  Not sure she wanted it, though. 

 

They ruled out things like gall bladder and stomach issues.  The head action was I think because of her Dad’s stroke issues.  I have no idea what all they did, but April was on top of everything.  The Cardiology Team finally descended as well, and they elected to officially admit her, watch her blood work through the night, and decide this morning whether to do an echocardiogram, an ultrasound, or skip straight to another heart cath.  Then it was time … to wait … of course.  April left to get some schoolwork done at home.  Chris and I chatted and watched what little action we could see between the curtains.  I even opened the door so we could be a little more engaged.  Also so they wouldn’t forget we were there.

 

We finally got word that she had been assigned a room, with the ever-present caveat, “But it is dirty right now.”  It wasn’t until around 9 or so that a lady with a wheelchair rolled up to take her to a regular room.  I gathered up our “waiting around things” and moved to follow them.  But no.  “You can’t come upstairs with us.  Visiting hours are over.”  Booted to the curb.  But at least she got into a room.  I made my way home and hit the sack.  Early start today.  Gotta cancel home group for tonight and see what work I can get done between now and the all-powerful visiting hour at ten.

 

Hebrews 12:14 says, “Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.”

 

Father, would you please once again watch over Chris during her stay at the lovely five-star hospital-hotel?  Amen.

No comments: