Wednesday, March 31, 2021

March 31 – “My new friends”

We took the truck in for its annual inspection yesterday.  Yep, she’s still running.  And afterwards I drove it downtown to get the actual registration sticker.  Long line there, by the way.  And I got yelled at by a lady in said line.  All I did was respond to a query from the desk as to whether anyone was there just to get a sticker.  All I did was raise my hand, and she gruffly informed me that she was in line first.  And she was supposed to be at work.  And she was going to be late.  And these lines were too long.  And people were always trying to cut in front of her.  Oh, she wasn’t talking to me, exactly.  Just venting to the world around her. 

 

I acknowledged her position and quietly backed away, since someone else stepped forward to get a sticker.  All was well until they once again called for anyone who was just there to get a sticker.  I hesitated.  I glanced over at my new “friend.”  Without missing a beat, she hollered back at them, “Hey!  This guy right here needs a sticker.  Take him next.”  And she pushed me toward the window.  Not what I expected.  But I thanked her and went on about my business.  Hope she gets back to work on time. 

 

In between the two truck events, we had an official appointment with a financial advisor yesterday.  Sounds so official, doesn’t it?  He was actually connected with Chris’ retirement fund.  He just took over for another guy who apparently moved away.  He seemed to be a really nice guy.  Pretty knowledgeable for a youngster.  He went over all the possibilities for her account, and even incorporated what little I could remember about my annuity in an effort to determine what might be best for us.  When he finished he asked Chris if she had any further questions.  She said, “Not about this stuff, but … why should I trust you?”  Wow.  That was unexpected.  I think it took him by surprise as well.  He sat back in his chair for a few seconds formulating his answer, and then responded with some statements that he hoped would reflect his character.  One was that he considered himself a religious person.  Interesting.  I had a follow-up for that.  I asked where he went to church.  He and his family drive into northwest Houston to attend a Catholic church that still uses the Latin mass.  Pretty impressive.  He asked where we went to church, so I told him I was the pastor at Seaside Church in Jamaica Beach.  He replied, “Oh.  I wouldn’t have pegged you as the pastor type.”  I answered, “Thank you.”  Don’t think he expected that, either.

 

Our day ended with a trip into Texas for Jachin’s baseball game.  This one was in Memorial Park in Houston.  Jachin was the starting pitcher.  He only gave up one run, too.  Very nice job.  He moved to right field for a while with the score 8-0 in his favor, and even got to play first base, his natural position.  He hasn’t played there all season, though.  In the end, the good guys won the game 11-1.  Woohoo.

 

Psalms 130:1-2 says, “Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord; Lord, hear my voice.  Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.”

 

Father, please be with that lady who got me a place in line.  Help her to be happy.  And thanks for our new financial guy.  Draw him and his young family close to you.  Amen.

 

No comments: