Saturday, March 20, 2021

March 20 – “Where’s my snow jacket?”

Chris went to rehab as usual.  But yesterday was a milestone.  She is officially half-way through.  Woohoo.  Definitely cause to celebrate.  And what better way than to take a trip?  Even a short one.  OK, a tiny one.  How about Luke’s basketball game?  I got started packing for an overnighter to Waco.  Packing problem.  It was supposed to be 39 degrees in Waco.  I was already freezing in Galveston where it was 55.  And we were anticipating a bonus activity.  We were going to watch Caleb play a soccer game – outside.  Where’s my snow jacket?

 

We loaded up our winter clothes and our three hitchhikers – Cailyn, Micah and Josiah – and hit the road.  All was pretty uneventful.  We made our usual stop at Buc-ees for a bathroom break and lunch.  And who should I see in the bathroom?  As I turned to leave the room, there, walking toward me with an eerily familiar gait, was a man in hospital scrubs and a hospital mask.  I did a double-take.  Yes, it really was him.  There before me was … my neurosurgeon.  The guy who had his hands inside my back.  Micah and Josiah had paused for me to catch up with them, so I made the comment, “Look, guys.  It’s my neurosurgeon.”  The doc looked up and made a pretense of recognizing me.  I appreciated that.  Seems he was heading to Waco to see his grandchildren as well.  Imagine that.  Something in common besides his hands on my spine.  Nice.

 

We got to Waco in plenty of time to watch some NCAA basketball before Luke’s games.  Enjoyed the upsets.  Blew all of our brackets, but lots of fun to watch.  Luke’s games were fun as well.  They won one and lost one.  Pretty good shooters for as young as they all were.  Needless to say, we were proud of that Vaughan kid.

 

Back at the house we at taquitos and cheese dip and enjoyed some more NCAA basketball.  As Josh said, “Greatest time of the year.”

 

Ephesians 2:10 says, “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

 

Father, thank you for the safe trip.  Help these cousins continue to enjoy each other’s company.  Amen.

No comments: