Wednesday, January 20, 2021

January 20 – “Kicked out … twice”

I did some more work on the teaching for Sunday.  It will be ready.  It looks like we have our departure date for our return trip home, too.  Friday morning.  That way we can help with some tricky basketball logistics on Thursday.  Christi’s parents are coming up for the next “shift.”  Christi is certainly doing better.  Her two youngest kiddos are making sure she gets up and walks around every hour or so.  That’s very cute, especially when the little four-year-old aspiring nurse shows her compassion and reminds Mom that “it’s time to get up and walk now.”  The walk is pretty slow.  That post-op pain is definitely making its presence known.  But I noticed she has been venturing out on occasion without holding the small pillow next to the incision site.  That’s a plus, I would say.

 

I was invited into the Princess Castle yesterday by AnnaGrace.  At least that’s what Chris informed me that it was.  It stretched from floor to the chandelier in the entryway.  There was some kind of hula hoop near the top with sheer fabric (if that means see-through lacey kind of stuff with glittery highlights) hanging down on all sides.  It reminded me of a girly version of the Cone of Silence from Maxwell Smart.  AnnaGrace and I were the only ones that could fit at a time, if that helps paint a picture in your mind.  I gotta say, I felt special.  And then later in the day she challenged me to a duel with light sabers.  I lost.  Remember … this paragon of sweetness has three older brothers.

 

In the afternoon Caleb and Luke took me to the local baseball card shop.  I guess it is technically a memorabilia shop, because they have collectable stuff of all kinds.  I found out the last time we were here that they have some of the series I am currently trying to complete.  1961-62 Fleer Greats.  They didn’t have any that I was missing.  I did pick up a few in better condition than the ones I have, though.  I was most excited to get another Lefty Gomez.  The one I have is sort of marred, as collectible cards go.  When I was about ten years old, Lefty came to Galveston as part of a marketing scheme for a local sporting goods store.  I got to meet him in person and get his autograph on his card.  Very special memory for me.  Not so good for any attempt to get an un-marred set, though.  I also picked up another one that has been kind of hard for me to find, Bill Terry.  Caleb had some money with him, but he didn’t see anything he couldn’t live without.

 

I got to go to Zak’s basketball game last night.  They played against a local private school with a reputation for extreme strictness.  That extended to the fans as well.  I got kicked out before we ever got in.  Seems fans weren’t allowed to enter until fifteen minutes before game time.  And then each player was only allowed two fans to represent him.  Josh is the assistant coach, so he got in.  I had to go sit in Josh’s truck for fifteen minutes.  Oh, and when the time came that I could enter, they took my temperature first.  No Covid allowed, you know.  Then after the game I got kicked out again.  I made the massive mistake of waiting for Josh and Zak to come out of the locker room, since they were my ride home and all.  Nope.  You have to wait outside in the rain and cold.  I texted Josh and asked, “If I get the Covid from standing in the rain, can I sue?”  He replied, “They have better lawyers than you.”  No doubt about that.  Oh, Zak’s team lost the game.  He scored five points, though.  And he played some really good defense.  I think they will have a pretty good season.

 

Ephesians 6:18 says, “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.  With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.”

 

Father, thank you that Christi seems to be doing a lot better.  Please continue doing your healing work in her body.  Amen.

No comments: