Monday, May 27, 2019

May 27 – “The Blockhead Trophy”


It was another great day at church yesterday.  We decided to give some money to the young man who lost everything he owned in the fire on Saturday.  Those of us who have been through a hurricane and lost everything understood his predicament right away.  He’s in that period where you don’t even know what you need until one day you reach for it and it is gone.  We prayed for him to be able to prioritize effectively.  By the way, he was in church, and was very appreciative.  What a great way to show this new Christian what the church is really like.

Kel and his family were at our house when we got home from church.  Chris had a roast in the crockpot, and Christina was making the rice.  The kids ended up staying the night with us … even Ezra.  And Cailyn came over, too.  It was almost a full cousins’ sleepover.  We sure missed the Waco bunch, though.  We grilled some burgers and hot dogs for supper.  Chris is very excited that we figured out how to fix the gas grill outside.  Simple cable switch-out did the trick.  But now she has great plans for summer cookout … for me.  I “get to” do the outdoor cooking, you understand?

The highlight of the evening was the “one-on-one volleyball with a beachball over the kiddie slide net with constantly changing rules double elimination” tournament.  After some difficult games accompanied by our rousing television announcers from some foreign country, and numerous aborted attempts by Noa to award trophies, Micah defeated me in the final round.  He was awarded the coveted Double Bells Award, while I took home the less-than-rewarding “Blockhead Trophy.”  Hey, I was proud of my block of wood.  Too proud in fact to defend my non-title in the second tournament.  Actually, pride had nothing to do with it.  I was simply … tired.

Psalms 77:11-12 says, “I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.  I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.”

Father, thank you for all the little ones around here.  Help them sleep a little longer … Amen.


No comments: