Saturday, May 25, 2019

May 25 – “Two problems”


I made an attempt to pull some more fence down in the back yard yesterday.  “Attempt” is the operative word there.  This time I faced two separate problems.

Problem one was the preponderance of wisteria vines and especially roots that were growing in the way.  I chopped and chopped and had a pile of them before I could get anywhere near the fence post.  And that was just the beginning.

Problem two was much bigger.  This time it was that ornery strip of concrete that somebody poured the length of the bottom of the fence.  We still haven’t figured out the “why” on that one.  I had to clear away at least a part of it to get to that elusive next post.  And this particular section was super thick.  Of course.  In fact it was so thick that I had to get out my hand sledge and wail on it over and over again to get it to crack enough to get the shovel to pull it up even a little bit.  Let me just say here that I make a terrible hard labor convict.  Me and breaking rocks just don’t go well together.  After what seemed like hours of hammering, I finally got the crack I needed to give the shovel leverage, and I managed to pull a huge piece of concrete out of the ground.  I still hadn’t even touched the fence, but I was totally whipped.  I barely dragged the hunk over to our trash concrete pile.  I covered the hole as best as I could.  Chris had already taken the pile of branches to the trash, so it was time to stop. 

I managed a brief nap before I had to fight the traffic going into Texas.  I had a wedding rehearsal off the Island.  It’s at a beautiful venue on the border between Dickinson and League City.  The wedding is tonight.

Now we’re headed to the church for the pancake and bacon breakfast.  I also need to check on someone in the hospital before heading to do the actual wedding.  Here we go …

Psalms 139:5-6 says, “You hem me in — behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.”

Father, be with the folks out on the roads this crazy holiday weekend.  Amen.

No comments: