Friday, May 17, 2019

May 17 – “A Tale of Two Visits”


We started our day with a walk again.  That’s my third for the week.  Chris’ fourth.  I missed the day I had a haircut appointment.  We’ll both be off for the weekend, though.  Driving to Navasota for a wedding today.  Returning tomorrow so I can officiate at a wedding on the beach.  Just another crazy busy weekend for the Vaughan’s.

And now I bring you … a tale of two visits.  The first was pleasant enough.  quite enjoyable, actually.  Sam was the only one who was able to make it to home group last night.  Well, Corey and Brennan did stop by after Brennan’s baseball game.  They won, by the way.  WooHoo.  We talked for a long time with Sam, getting all caught up on her exploits.  We have known her ever since we first started at Seaside.  That would put it at almost 24 years.  Special lady.

The second visitor was not so pleasant.  1:00 a.m.  Yep.  Freddy once again announced the visitor’s presence by barking incessantly right outside our bedroom window.  Again.  I dutifully got up, grabbed a flashlight, and trudged outside with the little yipper to let her show me her new-found discovery.  I had a hard time this time.  Couldn’t find it anywhere.  Even with Freddy, our weird pointer/terrier/chihuahua dutifully pointing toward the tree in the neighbor’s yard.  I finally pointed the flashlight in that direction and slowly edged the beam upward.  Wait.  What was that?  A long, pointed, slithery thing hanging from one of the branches.  Could that possibly be a snake?  If so it was a big one.  I followed the skinny protrudance upward even more.  At some point I realized that the “thing” in question no longer appeared slimy and slithery and snake-y.  Now it just looked ugly and … and … hairy.  Uh oh.  That could only mean one thing.  After about two feet of such tracking – yep, it really was that long – I finally found him.  Right where Freddy had been pointing.  Much bigger this time.  Much.  This was Grandpa O, the big boy of Opossum-ville. 

I bade him good night and good hunting for roaches and fleas and whatever other critters he could find.  I encouraged Freddy on her find and convinced her to return to her bed for the rest of the evening.  Ah, well.  I have a hunch I might be getting a little make-up sleeping done in the car today anyway. 

Proverbs 3:7 says, “Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil.”

Father, thank you for Sam and her friendship all these years.  And thanks for old Grandpa O.  May he find plenty of delicacies during his stay near our backyard.  Amen.

No comments: